Post shoulder surgery again

I'm slowly recovering from my second shoulder surgery. I'm eight weeks post-op and can finally get in the water for some kick sets. Anyone have any advice or suggestions to keep things interesting and safe?
Parents
  • Sorry to hear about the surgery, but glad you are able to get in the water again on a limited basis. For now, I would suggest focusing on a variety of different kicking sets that do not require use of the shoulder; for example, kick at side or kicking with hands at side. You can actually take advantage of this recovery period to improve your kick, which in turn will help you take some of the burden off of your arms when you return to normal training. There are also many drills that only require the use of one arm. You can try single arm drills using the non-injured arm, such as single arm breathing on or breathing away from the stroking side. Once you've improved significantly, the first thing I would advise is to get your stroke analyzed by a qualified coach. This will allow you to correct any points in your stroke that put undue pressure on the joints. Prevention is key, and swimming with good technique is one way to prevent the injury from returning. I have seen so many swimmers who carry on with continuous nagging shoulder pain and do not make an attempt to change their stroke, or even get it checked out to see if there are any improvements they can make to alleviate the pain. It is worth getting your stroke analyzed! There are two articles on Swimspire that might be of interest on swimmer's shoulder and why you should get your stroke analyzed: www.swimspire.com/.../ www.swimspire.com/.../ Hope this helps and good luck in your recovery!!
  • Sorry to hear about the surgery, but glad you are able to get in the water again on a limited basis. For now, I would suggest focusing on a variety of different kicking sets that do not require use of the shoulder; for example, kick at side or kicking with hands at side. You can actually take advantage of this recovery period to improve your kick, which in turn will help you take some of the burden off of your arms when you return to normal training. There are also many drills that only require the use of one arm. You can try single arm drills using the non-injured arm, such as single arm breathing on or breathing away from the stroking side. Once you've improved significantly, the first thing I would advise is to get your stroke analyzed by a qualified coach. This will allow you to correct any points in your stroke that put undue pressure on the joints. Prevention is key, and swimming with good technique is one way to prevent the injury from returning. I have seen so many swimmers who carry on with continuous nagging shoulder pain and do not make an attempt to change their stroke, or even get it checked out to see if there are any improvements they can make to alleviate the pain. It is worth getting your stroke analyzed! There are two articles on Swimspire that might be of interest on swimmer's shoulder and why you should get your stroke analyzed: www.swimspire.com/.../ www.swimspire.com/.../ Hope this helps and good luck in your recovery!!
Children
No Data