Sprained finger

Former Member
Former Member
Does anyone have advice on swimming with a sprained finger? It hurts when I swim. The pain isn't debilitating or anything, but enough to be bothersome, and I've read that if something is hurting a sprain, stop doing it. So even though it's tolerable, I don't know if I SHOULD be toughing it out. But I hate the thought of not swimming for a long period. The sprain happened 5 weeks ago when I hyperextended my ring finger in a bike crash. I did get it x-rayed a week later, and no additional damage was discovered. I believe it was a grade 2 sprain, no snapped tendons. I've tried taping it to another finger for support, but even during the short time I can get the tape to stay on, it doesn't alleviate the direction of pressure that's causing the pain while swimming. It seems to hurt more after swimming as well. I read online that a moderate to severe sprain can take a year to heal. Any experience with this? :(
Parents
  • I broke my 4th finger on my right hand this summer while moving furniture. Went to the orthopedic doctor. He gave me finger exercises and a cloth finger splint and said I could swim but no paddles. So I taped the middle and fourth finger together with first aid tape and got back in the pool wary of lane lines, other people and walls. But no pain while swimming and I was very focused on hand position. Out of the pool I kept my finger in the cloth splint for approximately 4 weeks and faithfully did the exercises. If something aggravated my finger while doing daily tasks I would find another way to do it, ask for help or not do it at all. The knuckle is still larger than normal but he said that can last for up to a year but no lingering pain.
  • I broke my 4th finger on my right hand this summer while moving furniture. Went to the orthopedic doctor. He gave me finger exercises and a cloth finger splint and said I could swim but no paddles. So I taped the middle and fourth finger together with first aid tape and got back in the pool wary of lane lines, other people and walls. But no pain while swimming and I was very focused on hand position. Out of the pool I kept my finger in the cloth splint for approximately 4 weeks and faithfully did the exercises. If something aggravated my finger while doing daily tasks I would find another way to do it, ask for help or not do it at all. The knuckle is still larger than normal but he said that can last for up to a year but no lingering pain.
Children
No Data