Swim teams and uniforms

Former Member
Former Member
Just wondering if there has ever been any research on whether swim team uniforms have an impact on a swimmer's performance, either positive or negative. Any research on the effects of uniforms on the team as a whole?
Parents
  • I don't think there is any question that "team" gear makes one feel part of the team (especially for AGers), and therefore more likely to show up for practice, bond with other team members, and adopt the team's training ethic and practices, like working hard during practice - these will clearly produce improvement. As an AGer starting out in the late 50s and 60s and making it onto a new AAU team in West Islip, NY, the suit, sweats and jacket meant a lot to me. I still have my tiny sweats, and also still have my NCAA suit (don't ask if I can fit into it) and somewhat tattered warm-up shirt (I can fit into that). The benefit of team gear is motivational, not that you can't be motivated otherwise; as an AGer we swam against inner-City teams that barely had a pool, and they were motivated. Somewhat obviously, simply dawning team gear isn't going to make you swim faster and probably has less motivational impact at practice as you get older and as motivation and drive become more internal and personal. Can a "team" make an inspirational difference on the pool deck during a meet - yah! I don't think its the gear at that point, its all of what the team has done getting to that point. NCAA Football coaches have been using uniform changes to motivate their teams for a big game. I think it has an impact, although not huge or long standing in a game, and it can be over-played. (My guys put on green uniforms when we need to get that luck thing going :) .
  • I don't think there is any question that "team" gear makes one feel part of the team (especially for AGers), and therefore more likely to show up for practice, bond with other team members, and adopt the team's training ethic and practices, like working hard during practice - these will clearly produce improvement. As an AGer starting out in the late 50s and 60s and making it onto a new AAU team in West Islip, NY, the suit, sweats and jacket meant a lot to me. I still have my tiny sweats, and also still have my NCAA suit (don't ask if I can fit into it) and somewhat tattered warm-up shirt (I can fit into that). The benefit of team gear is motivational, not that you can't be motivated otherwise; as an AGer we swam against inner-City teams that barely had a pool, and they were motivated. Somewhat obviously, simply dawning team gear isn't going to make you swim faster and probably has less motivational impact at practice as you get older and as motivation and drive become more internal and personal. Can a "team" make an inspirational difference on the pool deck during a meet - yah! I don't think its the gear at that point, its all of what the team has done getting to that point. NCAA Football coaches have been using uniform changes to motivate their teams for a big game. I think it has an impact, although not huge or long standing in a game, and it can be over-played. (My guys put on green uniforms when we need to get that luck thing going :) .
Children
No Data