Swim teams and uniforms

Former Member
Former Member
Just wondering if there has ever been any research on whether swim team uniforms have an impact on a swimmer's performance, either positive or negative. Any research on the effects of uniforms on the team as a whole?
Parents
  • laineybug, i dont see how there ever could be any evidence. you cannot duplicate the situation...ever. this morning i spoke with the guy in the lane next to me about this topic. he just happens to have THREE (3) NCAA Championship rings on his hand and is a '88 Olympic team member. i asked him about team cap/goggles/suit/warmups being a factor of going fast...he laughed and said "heck, no". when i asked him about team spirit and comradery he said yes that was very much a part helping swim fast. i then asked how he would compare his college team to the olympic team on this aspect and he said his college team was very very tight and the olympic team has such vast age differences "even though half of the men were from his school" and he went on to talk about how much better the national teams are done now and put together to make them so much better compared to then and how they are always getting better. so to answer you original question from the viewpoint of a 3 time ncaa individual champion, 3 time ncaa team champion and '88 olympic team member...NO a suit/cap/warmups do not influence your swims at all.
  • laineybug, i dont see how there ever could be any evidence. you cannot duplicate the situation...ever. this morning i spoke with the guy in the lane next to me about this topic. he just happens to have THREE (3) NCAA Championship rings on his hand and is a '88 Olympic team member. i asked him about team cap/goggles/suit/warmups being a factor of going fast...he laughed and said "heck, no". when i asked him about team spirit and comradery he said yes that was very much a part helping swim fast. i then asked how he would compare his college team to the olympic team on this aspect and he said his college team was very very tight and the olympic team has such vast age differences "even though half of the men were from his school" and he went on to talk about how much better the national teams are done now and put together to make them so much better compared to then and how they are always getting better. so to answer you original question from the viewpoint of a 3 time ncaa individual champion, 3 time ncaa team champion and '88 olympic team member...NO a suit/cap/warmups do not influence your swims at all.
Children
No Data