Pre Meet Advice

Former Member
Former Member
I have a swim meet coming up this weekend Nov 1, Nov 2. I haven't raced in almost 6 years. I have, however, been swimming all the time. The meet restricts each competitor to only two events. Each event is a timed final. I guess they do this to save time. I have entered the 50 m and 100 m free. The last time I raced these events I went 26.15 and 59.01 respectively. Back then, however, I did more training than I am doing now. Recently, I have been swimming 4 times a week, averaging about 1500 m to 2300 m per session. In the mornings I follow a home fitness program which involves some very vigorous cardio, dumbbell work, body weight workouts, etc. It can be really exhausting and leave my muscles sore for a couple of days afterwards. My questions are: should I drop the home exercise program in this final week before the meet? how much swimming should I be doing and what should I be concentrating on in the pool? what should I be eating? and probably the biggest question of all, how do I warm up on the day of the meet?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    No dry land 7-10 days before the meet, you may do Do sprints mixed with a lot of easy recovery swimming. Don't do too many sprints otherwise you build much lactate in your muscles. For warm up it's individual - this article may help - swim.isport.com/.../how-to-warm-up-for-swimming Good advice. And that article is excellent. Really sensible. I tend to do too much and wear myself out, I think. I almost feel I have to swim the entire distance at race pace just to make sure that I am still up to the task on the day. Today, I warmed up doing an easy relaxed 600 m concentrating on my stroke and counting my strokes, working on my turns. I followed up descending 4 x 50 m: 36, 34, 32, 30. Then I did a similar set on 25 m. I hardly rested in between. Did a slow 50 m and then blasted out a 100 m from a push off. Went 63.01 in the wave pool and felt really disheartened because last week I went 61.xx from a push. But then when I thought back on it, I realized it was in the wave pool (my name for the kids training pool because it is only waist high and the waterline doesn't go up to the same level as the deck so the water sloshes around like in a box with high sides) and I hadn't really rested and I duffed my turns. Note to self: need to be more patient. Should I be trying to swim all out 100's this week or should I only stick to the shorter stuff. I am worried about my endurance on the second 50. I am worried I am going to lose it this week. Have taken everyone's advice and stopped the drylands. Last bit of cardio I did was on Monday and it was only half of what I would normally have done anyway. Thank you.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    No dry land 7-10 days before the meet, you may do Do sprints mixed with a lot of easy recovery swimming. Don't do too many sprints otherwise you build much lactate in your muscles. For warm up it's individual - this article may help - swim.isport.com/.../how-to-warm-up-for-swimming Good advice. And that article is excellent. Really sensible. I tend to do too much and wear myself out, I think. I almost feel I have to swim the entire distance at race pace just to make sure that I am still up to the task on the day. Today, I warmed up doing an easy relaxed 600 m concentrating on my stroke and counting my strokes, working on my turns. I followed up descending 4 x 50 m: 36, 34, 32, 30. Then I did a similar set on 25 m. I hardly rested in between. Did a slow 50 m and then blasted out a 100 m from a push off. Went 63.01 in the wave pool and felt really disheartened because last week I went 61.xx from a push. But then when I thought back on it, I realized it was in the wave pool (my name for the kids training pool because it is only waist high and the waterline doesn't go up to the same level as the deck so the water sloshes around like in a box with high sides) and I hadn't really rested and I duffed my turns. Note to self: need to be more patient. Should I be trying to swim all out 100's this week or should I only stick to the shorter stuff. I am worried about my endurance on the second 50. I am worried I am going to lose it this week. Have taken everyone's advice and stopped the drylands. Last bit of cardio I did was on Monday and it was only half of what I would normally have done anyway. Thank you.
Children
No Data