Pre Meet Advice

Former Member
Former Member
I have a swim meet coming up this weekend Nov 1, Nov 2. I haven't raced in almost 6 years. I have, however, been swimming all the time. The meet restricts each competitor to only two events. Each event is a timed final. I guess they do this to save time. I have entered the 50 m and 100 m free. The last time I raced these events I went 26.15 and 59.01 respectively. Back then, however, I did more training than I am doing now. Recently, I have been swimming 4 times a week, averaging about 1500 m to 2300 m per session. In the mornings I follow a home fitness program which involves some very vigorous cardio, dumbbell work, body weight workouts, etc. It can be really exhausting and leave my muscles sore for a couple of days afterwards. My questions are: should I drop the home exercise program in this final week before the meet? how much swimming should I be doing and what should I be concentrating on in the pool? what should I be eating? and probably the biggest question of all, how do I warm up on the day of the meet?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Make sure to stay relaxed and get a good night's sleep. First meets are great in that you will make some new friends and experience the awesomeness that happens as we all encourage and cheer for each other during the events. Stay hydrated and don't get too hungry, especially if there is an extended time between events. Bring a book or catch up on some work stuff if you'd like. Have a blast and let us know how everything ends up! I have a Halloween party to attend the night before but I am hoping I can get out early. Fortunately, my first event is late in the afternoon, so I should be able to get a good night's rest. Thanks for your advice. :)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Make sure to stay relaxed and get a good night's sleep. First meets are great in that you will make some new friends and experience the awesomeness that happens as we all encourage and cheer for each other during the events. Stay hydrated and don't get too hungry, especially if there is an extended time between events. Bring a book or catch up on some work stuff if you'd like. Have a blast and let us know how everything ends up! I have a Halloween party to attend the night before but I am hoping I can get out early. Fortunately, my first event is late in the afternoon, so I should be able to get a good night's rest. Thanks for your advice. :)
Children
No Data