Pre Meet Advice

Former Member
Former Member
I have a swim meet coming up this weekend Nov 1, Nov 2. I haven't raced in almost 6 years. I have, however, been swimming all the time. The meet restricts each competitor to only two events. Each event is a timed final. I guess they do this to save time. I have entered the 50 m and 100 m free. The last time I raced these events I went 26.15 and 59.01 respectively. Back then, however, I did more training than I am doing now. Recently, I have been swimming 4 times a week, averaging about 1500 m to 2300 m per session. In the mornings I follow a home fitness program which involves some very vigorous cardio, dumbbell work, body weight workouts, etc. It can be really exhausting and leave my muscles sore for a couple of days afterwards. My questions are: should I drop the home exercise program in this final week before the meet? how much swimming should I be doing and what should I be concentrating on in the pool? what should I be eating? and probably the biggest question of all, how do I warm up on the day of the meet?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Stop all home exercise a week before an important meet. I usually stop weights about 10 days before. Keep swimming 4x a week. Do some dives if you can, sprints, fast turns, and lots of easy swimming in practice. Eat as normal making sure you get enough protein and calories. For warmup everyone is different. I swim maybe 2x 200 smooth, 8x drill/swim 50s, 3-4 dive sprint 25s and then 200-300 easy.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Stop all home exercise a week before an important meet. I usually stop weights about 10 days before. Keep swimming 4x a week. Do some dives if you can, sprints, fast turns, and lots of easy swimming in practice. Eat as normal making sure you get enough protein and calories. For warmup everyone is different. I swim maybe 2x 200 smooth, 8x drill/swim 50s, 3-4 dive sprint 25s and then 200-300 easy.
Children
No Data