Training Matters(Who knew?)

I went to Worlds and was pleased with my performance.As has been variously reported the meet conditions were difficult and I complained as much as anyone,but I had worked hard all spring and summer and I knew I was physically prepared and ready to swim. I just got back from the Pacific SCM Zone Meet.Due to a combination of the usual life complications and my main pool being closed for repairs I had not been able to put in the work for the meet.Our first grandchild is due in late Nov(woo hoo) so I thought this may be my only chance to swim SCM this year.My results were "OK",not really what I wanted.Except for the 50 BR,I think the difference was almost all between being physically prepared vs so so.The 50,where endurance plays the least role,was arguably my worst event(I know worst is a relative term,but I was slower than at Worlds and that was LCM.) A 50 is about start, turn,finish, technique and focus. Not only was my main pool closed for some time,but when it opened the starting blocks were not set up,as they were still being refurbished.I had not been off the blocks since Aug.I went too deep on my start.As for technique,I suppose it was OK,but to sprint you have to be in the groove immediately,which takes practice.As for the turn,that one was not entirely my fault(a good excuse is the same as swimming well,right.) The meet was outdoors and the last meter of the turn end was in shade where the rest on the pool was in bright sun.The result of that was that as I approached the wall I suddenly couldn't see it.After jamming my turn I think I lost focus a little,so I miss timed my finish(making me 0 for 5 on the necessities for sprinting.) So if you are wondering if the extra work is worth it,or if you really have to practice starts off the blocks,I say yes.
Parents Reply Children
No Data