Well Pfffffffft.

:badday:I just got back from practice and basically the coach told me I'd get more out of swim lessons than masters. I thought I was doing pretty well, but I guess he was blowing smoke up my skirt (or swimsuit) when he told me that during my first practice. Basically, if I don't want to swim with other people, masters probably isn't for me. I feel badly because I thought I'd found a home with this team. I know he's trying to do his best for me and is willing to give me lessons to improve my technique and get me comfortable enough to swim with the other beginners. But it feels like I've been sent to remedial swim class. So my confidence has been completely deflated. I joined masters because I thought I'd get a better workout than swimming alone. I know being in the lane with others makes you push yourself more, and I was working my way to that, and he said he wants me on his team. But honestly, I'm not interested in being on a team. I just want to get in the freakin' pool and swim for fitness.
Parents
  • FindingMyInnerFish, thank you for your kind comments and taking the time to help, and I will take your advice to heart. I float and tread pretty well, and when I can get my DH to come with me, I make him go with me into the deep lane so I'm less fearful. I'm trying to get there, but it's a process, and at 63, my brain cells don't turn over as fast as they used to. I'm only 5' tall, btw, so over my head isn't that deep :afraid:LOL. Panic button is a good way to describe it. It's a self-perpetuating state of mind. I chose this practice because they use shallow lanes and at the first practice the coach seemed really upbeat and supportive about working with me until I felt able to join the others. He said he had no problem working with me in my own lane until I felt comfortable to move to the beginner lane, which btw, is in the deep end. Chris, I know where you're coming from. "Team" doesn't imply that I'm in the lane with a bunch of other people, but just swimming with folks who are part of a group. I always knew I'd join them in their lanes eventually, and I looked forward to it. It felt good to be part of the masters, even if it took me time to reach my goal. I never played team sports, and I have no interest in competing. I was told most masters swimmers are in it for fitness, and that's what I was looking for. Because this group is small, I thought it was a good place to start my journey. Now, I don't even have a journey. I know, whah whah whah right?:rolleyes: I want to be clear on something - I never asked for special treatment, only that I be allowed to progress at my own pace. I did whatever the coach told me to do. I listened to what he said and did it, took in his critique, and tried to apply his corrections. My goal was to improve my technique and aerobic capacity, and eventually be comfortable with others in deep water. It's disturbing that he made this judgment after only three practices. I still have six left on my punch card and the thought of going back there makes me ill.
  • FindingMyInnerFish, thank you for your kind comments and taking the time to help, and I will take your advice to heart. I float and tread pretty well, and when I can get my DH to come with me, I make him go with me into the deep lane so I'm less fearful. I'm trying to get there, but it's a process, and at 63, my brain cells don't turn over as fast as they used to. I'm only 5' tall, btw, so over my head isn't that deep :afraid:LOL. Panic button is a good way to describe it. It's a self-perpetuating state of mind. I chose this practice because they use shallow lanes and at the first practice the coach seemed really upbeat and supportive about working with me until I felt able to join the others. He said he had no problem working with me in my own lane until I felt comfortable to move to the beginner lane, which btw, is in the deep end. Chris, I know where you're coming from. "Team" doesn't imply that I'm in the lane with a bunch of other people, but just swimming with folks who are part of a group. I always knew I'd join them in their lanes eventually, and I looked forward to it. It felt good to be part of the masters, even if it took me time to reach my goal. I never played team sports, and I have no interest in competing. I was told most masters swimmers are in it for fitness, and that's what I was looking for. Because this group is small, I thought it was a good place to start my journey. Now, I don't even have a journey. I know, whah whah whah right?:rolleyes: I want to be clear on something - I never asked for special treatment, only that I be allowed to progress at my own pace. I did whatever the coach told me to do. I listened to what he said and did it, took in his critique, and tried to apply his corrections. My goal was to improve my technique and aerobic capacity, and eventually be comfortable with others in deep water. It's disturbing that he made this judgment after only three practices. I still have six left on my punch card and the thought of going back there makes me ill.
Children
No Data