Well Pfffffffft.

:badday:I just got back from practice and basically the coach told me I'd get more out of swim lessons than masters. I thought I was doing pretty well, but I guess he was blowing smoke up my skirt (or swimsuit) when he told me that during my first practice. Basically, if I don't want to swim with other people, masters probably isn't for me. I feel badly because I thought I'd found a home with this team. I know he's trying to do his best for me and is willing to give me lessons to improve my technique and get me comfortable enough to swim with the other beginners. But it feels like I've been sent to remedial swim class. So my confidence has been completely deflated. I joined masters because I thought I'd get a better workout than swimming alone. I know being in the lane with others makes you push yourself more, and I was working my way to that, and he said he wants me on his team. But honestly, I'm not interested in being on a team. I just want to get in the freakin' pool and swim for fitness.
Parents
  • As someone who first joined a masters practice as an adult, in 2005--and who is still more eager than fast ;) -- I hear you. I've had wonderful coaches who are very welcoming and work with me very well--encouraging and pushing me too, which is great! I've had others who totally ignore the "newbie lane"--but I've gone to those practices for other reasons than the coach's attention (longer practices, so I get more distance; convenient time; good facility, whatever). And I've gone to those where the coach worked with those of us in the slower lanes but seemed impatient to get back to the faster groups. And I was in a very small practice at one point, where there were maybe about 5-6 of us, and a woman who enthusiastically worked with all of us. The current coach is great--he has a relatively small practice (more than 5-6 but usually not more than, say 12-15). He takes the time with every lane, tailors workouts so they fit the various abilities, while keeping the same interval (so some might do 100 on 1:30, for instance, others 75, others 50). We all get a great workout, and he moves around from lane to lane, watching, critiquing, teaching--and at no point have I ever felt left out. But I know how it is when there's someone you don't feel is a match--and how disappointing it can feel (had the experience) when a coach who at first seems interested in working w/ you suddenly seems to change his/her tune. I found that going to such a practice was emotionally draining--and fortunately, I found the current person whose style suits me much better. Sometimes it's a matter of finding the right fit. Oh and the practice I go to now is a lot less convenient for travel than the one I left but worth the extra trip. Re the fear of swimming with others or in deep water--I can find crowded lanes intimidating too. Just been fortunate in most cases that my lanes have never had more than 2-3 people. I've found it helps when at the start of practice, we introduce ourselves, negotiate our starting positions and spacing in between, etc. Having everyone be a stranger can feel a bit overwhelming. Even at practices where the coach didn't take much interest, if we were looking out for one another, things went pretty well. I can even relate to the fear of deep water. I had that as a kid. I knew how to swim for about 4-5 years before I felt comfortable swimming in deep water! You might want to do swimming in deep water on your own, but near a lifeguard stand, letting the lifeguard know your concern (get someone you've been friendly with), so they're looking out for you. Or just get an aqua vest and spend time in the water walking lane at the deep end--my first exposure to deep water consisted of putting on a life jacket and just hanging out in deep water for a bit, then going out w/out one and treading water. Everyone has some kind of issue or fear when they're new to swimming, especially if you start as an adult! I remember overhearing people coming out of a lesson and saying how uneasy they were about putting their face in the water. I'd been feeling down on myself b/c I had trouble with flip turns (still don't get those) and when I overheard that, I thought this is just a developmental process, and I realized I had to be patient with myself. Maybe worth trying a lesson or two with this coach to see if maybe you'll communicate better one on one. But if it doesn't work out, don't worry too much. He just might not be a good match for you. And give yourself time to find someone who will better fit your learning style.
  • As someone who first joined a masters practice as an adult, in 2005--and who is still more eager than fast ;) -- I hear you. I've had wonderful coaches who are very welcoming and work with me very well--encouraging and pushing me too, which is great! I've had others who totally ignore the "newbie lane"--but I've gone to those practices for other reasons than the coach's attention (longer practices, so I get more distance; convenient time; good facility, whatever). And I've gone to those where the coach worked with those of us in the slower lanes but seemed impatient to get back to the faster groups. And I was in a very small practice at one point, where there were maybe about 5-6 of us, and a woman who enthusiastically worked with all of us. The current coach is great--he has a relatively small practice (more than 5-6 but usually not more than, say 12-15). He takes the time with every lane, tailors workouts so they fit the various abilities, while keeping the same interval (so some might do 100 on 1:30, for instance, others 75, others 50). We all get a great workout, and he moves around from lane to lane, watching, critiquing, teaching--and at no point have I ever felt left out. But I know how it is when there's someone you don't feel is a match--and how disappointing it can feel (had the experience) when a coach who at first seems interested in working w/ you suddenly seems to change his/her tune. I found that going to such a practice was emotionally draining--and fortunately, I found the current person whose style suits me much better. Sometimes it's a matter of finding the right fit. Oh and the practice I go to now is a lot less convenient for travel than the one I left but worth the extra trip. Re the fear of swimming with others or in deep water--I can find crowded lanes intimidating too. Just been fortunate in most cases that my lanes have never had more than 2-3 people. I've found it helps when at the start of practice, we introduce ourselves, negotiate our starting positions and spacing in between, etc. Having everyone be a stranger can feel a bit overwhelming. Even at practices where the coach didn't take much interest, if we were looking out for one another, things went pretty well. I can even relate to the fear of deep water. I had that as a kid. I knew how to swim for about 4-5 years before I felt comfortable swimming in deep water! You might want to do swimming in deep water on your own, but near a lifeguard stand, letting the lifeguard know your concern (get someone you've been friendly with), so they're looking out for you. Or just get an aqua vest and spend time in the water walking lane at the deep end--my first exposure to deep water consisted of putting on a life jacket and just hanging out in deep water for a bit, then going out w/out one and treading water. Everyone has some kind of issue or fear when they're new to swimming, especially if you start as an adult! I remember overhearing people coming out of a lesson and saying how uneasy they were about putting their face in the water. I'd been feeling down on myself b/c I had trouble with flip turns (still don't get those) and when I overheard that, I thought this is just a developmental process, and I realized I had to be patient with myself. Maybe worth trying a lesson or two with this coach to see if maybe you'll communicate better one on one. But if it doesn't work out, don't worry too much. He just might not be a good match for you. And give yourself time to find someone who will better fit your learning style.
Children
No Data