Well Pfffffffft.

:badday:I just got back from practice and basically the coach told me I'd get more out of swim lessons than masters. I thought I was doing pretty well, but I guess he was blowing smoke up my skirt (or swimsuit) when he told me that during my first practice. Basically, if I don't want to swim with other people, masters probably isn't for me. I feel badly because I thought I'd found a home with this team. I know he's trying to do his best for me and is willing to give me lessons to improve my technique and get me comfortable enough to swim with the other beginners. But it feels like I've been sent to remedial swim class. So my confidence has been completely deflated. I joined masters because I thought I'd get a better workout than swimming alone. I know being in the lane with others makes you push yourself more, and I was working my way to that, and he said he wants me on his team. But honestly, I'm not interested in being on a team. I just want to get in the freakin' pool and swim for fitness.
Parents
  • Yes, but I've only been to three practices, and I swim in the lane right next to the others. Actually, my first two practices, there was another woman in that lane, and she was alone. The coach was happy to work with her. Probably because she was good. And was looking to compete. He gives me a set, and I do my best. It's a small team, so it's not like he has to watch a dozen people. I'm not asking for special treatment. Initially, he said he had no issues with me swimming alone, and he'd work with me as long as it took to get comfortable enough to swim with other people. And he said I was doing fine and my technique was as good if not better than the folks in the beginner lane. Now I shouldn't even be in the masters. Most of us who are learning to swim as adults come with baggage because if we didn't have any, we'd have learned sooner. We can be awkward and uncoordinated, and require some encouragement. Not a lot, but some. I don't see how getting virtually kicked out of masters is supposed to encourage me.
  • Yes, but I've only been to three practices, and I swim in the lane right next to the others. Actually, my first two practices, there was another woman in that lane, and she was alone. The coach was happy to work with her. Probably because she was good. And was looking to compete. He gives me a set, and I do my best. It's a small team, so it's not like he has to watch a dozen people. I'm not asking for special treatment. Initially, he said he had no issues with me swimming alone, and he'd work with me as long as it took to get comfortable enough to swim with other people. And he said I was doing fine and my technique was as good if not better than the folks in the beginner lane. Now I shouldn't even be in the masters. Most of us who are learning to swim as adults come with baggage because if we didn't have any, we'd have learned sooner. We can be awkward and uncoordinated, and require some encouragement. Not a lot, but some. I don't see how getting virtually kicked out of masters is supposed to encourage me.
Children
No Data