Leg Cramps/Calf and side of Calf

Hi: I've been having really bad cramping in both legs in the calf and the side of my leg that runs up from my ankle. I drink lots of water and my doc. had me taking calcium and magnesium. I've also started using a foam roller. These are literally cramping my swimming style and how often/far I can swim. Any ideas or suggestions. Thank you. Nancy
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    It could also be that your calves are not used to the explosive exertion of pushing off the wall. Every flip turn is like a plyometric jump…so even 1500m has the equivalent of about 60 jumps. If you did that on land, your legs would cramp or at least be sore. So, aside from trying all the other suggestions mentioned, you might do some dry land plyometrics to build calf muscle endurance/strength.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    It could also be that your calves are not used to the explosive exertion of pushing off the wall. Every flip turn is like a plyometric jump…so even 1500m has the equivalent of about 60 jumps. If you did that on land, your legs would cramp or at least be sore. So, aside from trying all the other suggestions mentioned, you might do some dry land plyometrics to build calf muscle endurance/strength.
Children
No Data