Leg Cramps/Calf and side of Calf

Hi: I've been having really bad cramping in both legs in the calf and the side of my leg that runs up from my ankle. I drink lots of water and my doc. had me taking calcium and magnesium. I've also started using a foam roller. These are literally cramping my swimming style and how often/far I can swim. Any ideas or suggestions. Thank you. Nancy
Parents
  • I'm struggling with the same issue. Almost always happens on the second hard set of a workout, often instigated by a hard push off the wall. I eat at least one banana a day; even if I strategically time it ahead of the workout that doesn't help. I've tried drinking diet tonic water for the quinine; seems to help a little but not completely. I stretch before workouts and in between sets with little effect at preventing the cramping, although I have figured out how to stretch out a cramp enough to continue swimming at a moderate pace. Next on the list to try is magnesium and if that doesn't work then pickle juice.
  • I'm struggling with the same issue. Almost always happens on the second hard set of a workout, often instigated by a hard push off the wall. I eat at least one banana a day; even if I strategically time it ahead of the workout that doesn't help. I've tried drinking diet tonic water for the quinine; seems to help a little but not completely. I stretch before workouts and in between sets with little effect at preventing the cramping, although I have figured out how to stretch out a cramp enough to continue swimming at a moderate pace. Next on the list to try is magnesium and if that doesn't work then pickle juice.
Children
No Data