New adult learner-start sinking after first breadth

Former Member
Former Member
Hi all, I just started learning how to swim recently as an adult. I couldn't move while kicking and after searching online I found this forum and it really helped :applaud: thank you so much. I can now move, very slowly. I followed the youtube series here www.youtube.com/watch. But now I face next issue: In the last step, when I come up for air and come down I start sinking and stop moving, etc. Everything falls apart. Any suggestion? Thanks,
Parents
  • I want to get a snorkel and learn kick and stroke first so I can spend more time in the water and relax my body before getback to breathing. Is it possible to learn this way?I just got a snorkel hoping I could spend more time focusing on kick/stroke and less time thinking about my breathing. Turns out I've spent way more time figuring out how to breathe with a snorkel in my mouth. Don't get me wrong; I think a snorkel will be a great tool... once it quits trying to drown me. Just don't expect the snorkel to be a quick fix. If you're going to plunk down some cash for a swim toy, I'd recommend long or medium blade fins. These will give you some extra propulsion making breathing to the side a bit easier. The problem with fins is that they can become a highly addictive crutch. So, no cheating on the kick sets by throwing the fins on.
  • I want to get a snorkel and learn kick and stroke first so I can spend more time in the water and relax my body before getback to breathing. Is it possible to learn this way?I just got a snorkel hoping I could spend more time focusing on kick/stroke and less time thinking about my breathing. Turns out I've spent way more time figuring out how to breathe with a snorkel in my mouth. Don't get me wrong; I think a snorkel will be a great tool... once it quits trying to drown me. Just don't expect the snorkel to be a quick fix. If you're going to plunk down some cash for a swim toy, I'd recommend long or medium blade fins. These will give you some extra propulsion making breathing to the side a bit easier. The problem with fins is that they can become a highly addictive crutch. So, no cheating on the kick sets by throwing the fins on.
Children
No Data