New adult learner-start sinking after first breadth

Former Member
Former Member
Hi all, I just started learning how to swim recently as an adult. I couldn't move while kicking and after searching online I found this forum and it really helped :applaud: thank you so much. I can now move, very slowly. I followed the youtube series here www.youtube.com/watch. But now I face next issue: In the last step, when I come up for air and come down I start sinking and stop moving, etc. Everything falls apart. Any suggestion? Thanks,
Parents
  • Once you get a bit comfortable on the side of the pool, take a kickboard and practice breathing and kicking with it. Try holding the end of the board with one hand, and let your other hand down by your side. Kick just enough to keep you going and practice blowing out underwater, then turning your head to breathe on the side. You'll breathe on the side your other hand is down. On the way back, switch your hands and head turn to keep yourself balanced. Like folks said above, just turn your head, concentrate on not lifting it up. Try this for a few sessions until it's not a big deal, then start incorporating a stroke. As an interim step before ditchign the board altoghether, you could do the same drill with the board, but add an arm stroke using the arm not on the board. Take a stroke, then turn your head to breathe off that side. Kick a bit, then as you need to breathe, repeat. Eventually ditch the board and you'll be swimming!
  • Once you get a bit comfortable on the side of the pool, take a kickboard and practice breathing and kicking with it. Try holding the end of the board with one hand, and let your other hand down by your side. Kick just enough to keep you going and practice blowing out underwater, then turning your head to breathe on the side. You'll breathe on the side your other hand is down. On the way back, switch your hands and head turn to keep yourself balanced. Like folks said above, just turn your head, concentrate on not lifting it up. Try this for a few sessions until it's not a big deal, then start incorporating a stroke. As an interim step before ditchign the board altoghether, you could do the same drill with the board, but add an arm stroke using the arm not on the board. Take a stroke, then turn your head to breathe off that side. Kick a bit, then as you need to breathe, repeat. Eventually ditch the board and you'll be swimming!
Children
No Data