New adult learner-start sinking after first breadth

Former Member
Former Member
Hi all, I just started learning how to swim recently as an adult. I couldn't move while kicking and after searching online I found this forum and it really helped :applaud: thank you so much. I can now move, very slowly. I followed the youtube series here www.youtube.com/watch. But now I face next issue: In the last step, when I come up for air and come down I start sinking and stop moving, etc. Everything falls apart. Any suggestion? Thanks,
Parents
  • Are you holding your breath when your head is under the surface? If so, you need to practice gently blowing bubbles out your nose and/or mouth so when you do come up to breath, you can get a good inhalation of air and not have to spend time with your head out of the water (and out of alignment with your body) to exhale first then inhale. This is a good video that shows the three phases of breathing and shows the desired head position when taking a breath. www.youtube.com/watch Another key focus on beginning swimmers for me, especially adults, is to relax, relax, relax. Remember the water is your friend, it wants to help you and if you tighten up, you use more energy and you don't slide thru the water nearly as well. Let me know if you find these tips helpful. Paul W
  • Are you holding your breath when your head is under the surface? If so, you need to practice gently blowing bubbles out your nose and/or mouth so when you do come up to breath, you can get a good inhalation of air and not have to spend time with your head out of the water (and out of alignment with your body) to exhale first then inhale. This is a good video that shows the three phases of breathing and shows the desired head position when taking a breath. www.youtube.com/watch Another key focus on beginning swimmers for me, especially adults, is to relax, relax, relax. Remember the water is your friend, it wants to help you and if you tighten up, you use more energy and you don't slide thru the water nearly as well. Let me know if you find these tips helpful. Paul W
Children
No Data