New adult learner-start sinking after first breadth

Former Member
Former Member
Hi all, I just started learning how to swim recently as an adult. I couldn't move while kicking and after searching online I found this forum and it really helped :applaud: thank you so much. I can now move, very slowly. I followed the youtube series here www.youtube.com/watch. But now I face next issue: In the last step, when I come up for air and come down I start sinking and stop moving, etc. Everything falls apart. Any suggestion? Thanks,
Parents
  • In beginning swimmers the main cause of these is the forward head position (looking forward) creating a situation where the swimmer is lifting their head up to breathe. This causes the hips to sink and creates a cycle where you have to lift the head higher to breathe, the hips sink more, etc ,etc. A drill that I have my swimmers do is a body position drill where they put on fins, perform a light kick to move slowly and focus on pointing their noses at the bottom of the pool and push their hips up so their butt breaks the surface of the water.. They do this with their arms at their sides and when they need to breathe, they turn their heads to the side and look at the lane line. The focus here is not speed, it's getting the body in alignment and to learn to turn, not lift the head to breathe. Here are a couple drills that will help also: www.youtube.com/watch
  • In beginning swimmers the main cause of these is the forward head position (looking forward) creating a situation where the swimmer is lifting their head up to breathe. This causes the hips to sink and creates a cycle where you have to lift the head higher to breathe, the hips sink more, etc ,etc. A drill that I have my swimmers do is a body position drill where they put on fins, perform a light kick to move slowly and focus on pointing their noses at the bottom of the pool and push their hips up so their butt breaks the surface of the water.. They do this with their arms at their sides and when they need to breathe, they turn their heads to the side and look at the lane line. The focus here is not speed, it's getting the body in alignment and to learn to turn, not lift the head to breathe. Here are a couple drills that will help also: www.youtube.com/watch
Children
No Data