Improving Speed

Have been a masters swimmer for almost 3 years. I seem to have hit a plateau in improving my 100 free speed, which is not fast. I can't get below 1:29 in the 100; My fastest 50 is :42. I have increased by yardage to about 3500 per workout (from 2500) with more interval work five times per week. Also, I cycle and lift weights about three times a week. I am 52, 6'3" and weigh 195; the main feedback I get from the masters coach is I need to minimize head movement during sprints.
Parents
  • I would agree that adding in some race pace work could help improve performance. However, from what you have described, you have already been including interval work and race pace-style swimming to your training, with no perceived effect. This means that there is probably something else missing, and that is most likely your technique. My suggestion would be to get your technique analyzed by someone other than your coach to see what areas of your stroke could do with improvement beyond just minimizing head movement. I actually wrote a piece on why swimmers should get a stroke analysis - perhaps it will be insightful for you: www.swimspire.com/get-stroke-technique-analyzed/ Good luck! I totally agree that stroke analysis is an excellent tool for any serious swimmer and I already noted that technical improvements are the best way to get faster. That said,I think the point needs to be made that the vast majority of interval work most Masters do is not race pace. 10X100 with 10-15 sec rest is not race pace work for a 100 event. That is why I gave the link to the race pace thread. Train like you race or you will race like you train,both in terms of technique and pace.
  • I would agree that adding in some race pace work could help improve performance. However, from what you have described, you have already been including interval work and race pace-style swimming to your training, with no perceived effect. This means that there is probably something else missing, and that is most likely your technique. My suggestion would be to get your technique analyzed by someone other than your coach to see what areas of your stroke could do with improvement beyond just minimizing head movement. I actually wrote a piece on why swimmers should get a stroke analysis - perhaps it will be insightful for you: www.swimspire.com/get-stroke-technique-analyzed/ Good luck! I totally agree that stroke analysis is an excellent tool for any serious swimmer and I already noted that technical improvements are the best way to get faster. That said,I think the point needs to be made that the vast majority of interval work most Masters do is not race pace. 10X100 with 10-15 sec rest is not race pace work for a 100 event. That is why I gave the link to the race pace thread. Train like you race or you will race like you train,both in terms of technique and pace.
Children
No Data