Who can swim their age?

Turned 50 yesterday, so I tried to swim a 50 sec 100 free. The best I could do was 52 with fins. Who has tried this without fins and been able to match their age? I think it's a good challenge. I suppose this feat could be done as early as mid 40's for some, or very few.
  • Dave Radcliffe is a great guy and ageless though I imagine there is a picture of him somewhere that is showing it's age. On the women's side,in yards-Laura Val(who else) went 54.83 at age 55. Maybe USMS should come up with an honor we could call the Radcliffe Cup. I do think it's amazing that an 80 year old guy can swim over 8 seconds faster in the 100 LCM than his age. I wonder if he will continue to extend his gap? As of now, it often seems people have their best times when first entering the new age group. If pursuit of making the Top 10 in the Radcliff Cup were to catch on, then maybe we all would have more motivation to do better times throughout the age group. As for Laura Val, do you know if she, or any other woman, has accomplished the feat in LCM? If not, it doesn't really matter. Beating your age is kind of an arbitrary distinction (as is, for that matter, the selection of the 100 as the designated length, be it yards, short course meters, or long course meters.) The Radcliffe Cup, as I am now envisioning it, would be the difference between a swimmer's age and his or her time in the 100 in any course. The greater the discrepancy, the better the placement. So, for instance, in the 100 LCM breaststroke, Allen, your 79.88 at age 65 (differential + 's 83.65 at age 70 (differential + 't have the energy to rummage through all the other times, but I think you guys are the top two 100 LCM breaststrokers in the Radcliff Cup sweepstakes. I suspect somebody with training in computer processing could easily run the event rankings and/or Top 10 lists each year through some kind of mathematical Cuisinart at the conclusion of each season and calculate the Top 10 Radcliff Cuppians for all 100s in SCY, SCM, and LCM. I think it could be an excellent way to motivate us geezers! Jim, I suppose the criteria should be your yards age for yards and your meters age for meters. However, someone like Jim McConica who ages up in December gets an entire year in meters in the next age group three days after he actually ages up in December. So Jim will be 64 at the end of December, but come January 1 he will be 65! Say goodbye to my 400 SCM record. Enjoy it while you own it! As Jimmy Carter so aptly put, Life is unfair! You have the advantage of being slightly older than Jim McConica. I have the advantage of being slightly older than Jack Groselle. Michael Phelps, should he swim masters one day, has the advantage of being slightly older than whatever phenome quickly supplants him. You have done remarkably well, Glenn, and I must say that I truly admire you for your efforts!
  • As for Laura Val, do you know if she, or any other woman, has accomplished the feat in LCM? If not, it doesn't really matter. Beating your age is kind of an arbitrary distinction (as is, for that matter, the selection of the 100 as the designated length, be it yards, short course meters, or long course meters.) New Year's Day researching. Short answer: LCM, no. SCM, maybe. The SCM record lists include: Laura Val, 2013 (so age 62, I think?) - 1:03.84 Yoshiko Osaki, 2009 (born March 1938, so 71) - 1:12.97 ...either or both may have done similar times a year or two later!
  • Soon to be 69 - so yes I can swim my age. Maybe only once, not any repeats!!