Who can swim their age?

Turned 50 yesterday, so I tried to swim a 50 sec 100 free. The best I could do was 52 with fins. Who has tried this without fins and been able to match their age? I think it's a good challenge. I suppose this feat could be done as early as mid 40's for some, or very few.
  • I believe 2 Masters swimmers have swum their age for 100 yd BR:Robert Strand and Rick Colella.Tim Shead may have. If he hasn't, he will when his shoulder heals.
  • Turned 50 yesterday, so I tried to swim a 50 sec 100 free. The best I could do was 52 with fins. Who has tried this without fins and been able to match their age? I think it's a good challenge. I suppose this feat could be done as early as mid 40's for some, or very few.I certainly can't do it today at 47, probably won't be able to do it at 48, might have a shot at 49 or 50 and hope to be able to safely do this by the time I'm 52! Great challenge / idea.
  • I don't get your reasoning, Skip. Clearly Jack Groselle and Rich Abrahams can destroy their age in yards. It's much more difficult to swim your age in LCM because the race is 9% longer. If anyone can swim their age in long course meters, but not yards they must have REALLY bad turns!
  • I believe Jim Thornton has done it long course
  • I don't get your reasoning, Skip. Clearly Jack Groselle and Rich Abrahams can destroy their age in yards. It's much more difficult to swim your age in LCM because the race is 9% longer. If anyone can swim their age in long course meters, but not yards they must have REALLY bad turns! Kirk: I said that wrong. I was thinking about Matt Biondi going 54 for the LCM 100 Free which is almost as good as the SCY time he did and thinking as he get older he will match his age. Right now if he went 52 he would be 4 short and yet he is 2 ahead in SCY in the 100 distance.
  • Even more impressive is to do it long course! Jeff Farrell swam a 1:00.1 for the 100 LCM AT AGE 60 in 1998.
  • Believe me, it's impressive in yards too!!!
  • Jeff Farrell swam a 1:00.1 for the 100 LCM AT AGE 60 in 1998. And you swam a :58.61 at the age of 60 followed by Jack Groselle swimming it at 57.79 this year. Isn't more impressive to swim below your age in the 100 in either LCM and SCY? After looking at these I think its easier as you get older to hit the LCM times then the SCY times. Somebody like Matt Biondi will have to wait until he is in his 50's to match the LCM 100 Free times.
  • I'm perhaps missing the point of this whole challenge...but then again I am 30. A 50 is too short/fast to be impressive, and I am about 22 years away from the 100.
  • It's really a thing for older masters and quite an achievement all the way up till...........