Who can swim their age?

Turned 50 yesterday, so I tried to swim a 50 sec 100 free. The best I could do was 52 with fins. Who has tried this without fins and been able to match their age? I think it's a good challenge. I suppose this feat could be done as early as mid 40's for some, or very few.
Parents
  • Thanks Jim. You did, however, miss one in the LCM times...me. I went 1:03.01 (63.01) this summer as a 65 year old. Did not in any way mean to rob you of your fantastic accomplishment, Glenn, and let me add my even greater congratulations on your 400 SCM world record. I was listing folks who beat their age by multiple seconds (i.e., close to 3 or more) and I should have noted you in this rare fraternity. The younger you are, the harder it is--obviously, few toddlers at age 3, for example, can swim a sub-3 second 100 LCM freestyle! The reason I included Jack was that, as far as I can tell, he is the youngest person to have ever accomplished this, at least in the US, and the only one I could find who has yet done it in the 55-59 age group. As a fellow mathematically fascinated older swimmer, what do you think should be the criteria for official admittance into the "beating your age" club? Should the swimmer have to go with actual age or FINA age, for instance? I don't know if you saw my earlier post, but I too would qualify for admission to the rarefied fraternity if FINA age counts, but if it's actual age (in my case, FINA 62 minus a couple months till my birthday), I would have missed it by a few hundredths. Am I deluding myself, in other words, when I say to you, brother Glenn, I salute you, fellow Death-Defying Sub-Ageman?
  • Thanks Jim. You did, however, miss one in the LCM times...me. I went 1:03.01 (63.01) this summer as a 65 year old. Did not in any way mean to rob you of your fantastic accomplishment, Glenn, and let me add my even greater congratulations on your 400 SCM world record. I was listing folks who beat their age by multiple seconds (i.e., close to 3 or more) and I should have noted you in this rare fraternity. The younger you are, the harder it is--obviously, few toddlers at age 3, for example, can swim a sub-3 second 100 LCM freestyle! The reason I included Jack was that, as far as I can tell, he is the youngest person to have ever accomplished this, at least in the US, and the only one I could find who has yet done it in the 55-59 age group. As a fellow mathematically fascinated older swimmer, what do you think should be the criteria for official admittance into the "beating your age" club? Should the swimmer have to go with actual age or FINA age, for instance? I don't know if you saw my earlier post, but I too would qualify for admission to the rarefied fraternity if FINA age counts, but if it's actual age (in my case, FINA 62 minus a couple months till my birthday), I would have missed it by a few hundredths. Am I deluding myself, in other words, when I say to you, brother Glenn, I salute you, fellow Death-Defying Sub-Ageman?
Children
No Data