What do you look for in a coach?

What do you look for in a good USMS coach? What about him/her do you like that keeps you motivated to come back each time? Or is it more about the team aspect that keeps you coming back? Or what frustrates you about a coach that would want you to go to a different team? I'm really curious as to how diversified people are in what keeps them going back.
Parents
  • Interesting thread. I just got back from a masters swim with a new coach. He let me swim in a lane by myself, and spent a good amount of time correcting my technique and encouraging me to relax. Swimming with other people makes me nervous, so he's fine with me swimming alone, but he encourage me to be part of the group when I'm ready. Fortunately, the pool is usually empty when they meet there. I only got about a third of the way through the assigned workout, because I'm slow and don't have that much aerobic capacity yet. I found him to be kind, patient, and motivating. I think he is an example of very good coach. The Masters wants to encourage adults to swim, so you need coaches who understand what it's like for someone who's learning in middle or senior age, and may come with baggage. Interestingly, when I was teaching, I always found it more rewarding to work with the folks who had the least experience or aptitude. Because I figured they needed me most.
  • Interesting thread. I just got back from a masters swim with a new coach. He let me swim in a lane by myself, and spent a good amount of time correcting my technique and encouraging me to relax. Swimming with other people makes me nervous, so he's fine with me swimming alone, but he encourage me to be part of the group when I'm ready. Fortunately, the pool is usually empty when they meet there. I only got about a third of the way through the assigned workout, because I'm slow and don't have that much aerobic capacity yet. I found him to be kind, patient, and motivating. I think he is an example of very good coach. The Masters wants to encourage adults to swim, so you need coaches who understand what it's like for someone who's learning in middle or senior age, and may come with baggage. Interestingly, when I was teaching, I always found it more rewarding to work with the folks who had the least experience or aptitude. Because I figured they needed me most.
Children
No Data