Swimming culture in Australia

Former Member
Former Member
Hi! I'm going to Australia for the first time in December for a couple weeks after living in California nearly all 26 years of my life in California. Ever since Sydney 2000 and Ian Thorpe's rise to fame, I've wanted to visit the nation where swimming "is a national sport"(?). I've tried searching all over the internet but only in newspaper articles can I find stories of how much different swimming is in Australia as opposed to the US. Any advice on places to go/things to do so that I can get a taste of this? So far all I have is to scuba dive the great barrier reef and visit Sydney aquatic center. Non swimming related advice is welcome as well!
Parents
  • I am going to Sydney Australia the first week of November and have googled swim clubs. . There is a group called Swimfit. I think there is a group at the Ian Thorpe Centre. There is also a North Sydney masters group. Depending on my sightseeing schedule I am hoping to try one or 2 swim workouts when I get there. I have never been to Australia. I also will be hiking for 2 weeks in New Zealand! I did get a very nice email from Cook Phillip Masters with suggested workout places. Feel free to PM me. I will be back before THanksgiving. Elaine, I will be in ATL early Oct, but will miss Southside meet. Will swim at Swim ATl at Sugarloaf.
  • I am going to Sydney Australia the first week of November and have googled swim clubs. . There is a group called Swimfit. I think there is a group at the Ian Thorpe Centre. There is also a North Sydney masters group. Depending on my sightseeing schedule I am hoping to try one or 2 swim workouts when I get there. I have never been to Australia. I also will be hiking for 2 weeks in New Zealand! I did get a very nice email from Cook Phillip Masters with suggested workout places. Feel free to PM me. I will be back before THanksgiving. Elaine, I will be in ATL early Oct, but will miss Southside meet. Will swim at Swim ATl at Sugarloaf.
Children
No Data