Swimming culture in Australia

Former Member
Former Member
Hi! I'm going to Australia for the first time in December for a couple weeks after living in California nearly all 26 years of my life in California. Ever since Sydney 2000 and Ian Thorpe's rise to fame, I've wanted to visit the nation where swimming "is a national sport"(?). I've tried searching all over the internet but only in newspaper articles can I find stories of how much different swimming is in Australia as opposed to the US. Any advice on places to go/things to do so that I can get a taste of this? So far all I have is to scuba dive the great barrier reef and visit Sydney aquatic center. Non swimming related advice is welcome as well!
Parents
  • Are you on Facebook? If so, there's a fun, open group called "Did You Swim Today" and it has folks from all over the world on it. It's a lot of fun to live vicariously through those who are on great vacations or those who get to swim in great locations. Anyway, you should join and ask the same question there. There are a lot of Aussies on that page.
  • Are you on Facebook? If so, there's a fun, open group called "Did You Swim Today" and it has folks from all over the world on it. It's a lot of fun to live vicariously through those who are on great vacations or those who get to swim in great locations. Anyway, you should join and ask the same question there. There are a lot of Aussies on that page.
Children
No Data