Is shaving really worth it?

This is an old topic. Most swimmers I know appear to believe that shaving definitely produces a speed gain. I've always been skeptical. I figure that the "psych" factor of a big meet combined with a taper more than swamps any possible gain from tapering. Well I just bumped into this video: www.youtube.com/watch It seems that for cycling at least, the speed gain from shaving is very considerable. Given that water is much more viscous than air, it would seem reasonable to conclude that the effect is even greater for swimmers.
Parents
  • Help, yes. Enough for a 30 year old masters swimmer with no "delusions" of swimming grandeur - no. I am going to ask you to reconsider. I'd like everyone who swims in meets to consider at least one shaved and tapered meet. If you have shaved and tapered for a meet before and don't want to go through the hassle,OK but for those who never have,seriously consider it.Maybe roughly 1 sec/100 doesn't seem like enough difference to make it worth the trouble but swimming shaved feels different,faster,more intense.It is part of a ritual to prepare yourself to do your best at that time and place.Your best,not someone else's, not your 20 year old self's, not yours next year when you are in shape,but yours now.
  • Help, yes. Enough for a 30 year old masters swimmer with no "delusions" of swimming grandeur - no. I am going to ask you to reconsider. I'd like everyone who swims in meets to consider at least one shaved and tapered meet. If you have shaved and tapered for a meet before and don't want to go through the hassle,OK but for those who never have,seriously consider it.Maybe roughly 1 sec/100 doesn't seem like enough difference to make it worth the trouble but swimming shaved feels different,faster,more intense.It is part of a ritual to prepare yourself to do your best at that time and place.Your best,not someone else's, not your 20 year old self's, not yours next year when you are in shape,but yours now.
Children
No Data