Is shaving really worth it?

This is an old topic. Most swimmers I know appear to believe that shaving definitely produces a speed gain. I've always been skeptical. I figure that the "psych" factor of a big meet combined with a taper more than swamps any possible gain from tapering. Well I just bumped into this video: www.youtube.com/watch It seems that for cycling at least, the speed gain from shaving is very considerable. Given that water is much more viscous than air, it would seem reasonable to conclude that the effect is even greater for swimmers.
Parents
  • I know there are people who don't notice a big difference shaving,but I suspect that is some sort of negative placebo effect,they don't want it to work and it doesn't.Shaving makes a substantial difference for me(about 1 sec/100.)I have gone to meets shaved and not tapered when I wanted to get a good mid-season time and the results were the 1 sec/100.My first warm up after a shaved meet and I will finish my warm up almost 2 sec faster than I regularlydo with the same effort.
  • I know there are people who don't notice a big difference shaving,but I suspect that is some sort of negative placebo effect,they don't want it to work and it doesn't.Shaving makes a substantial difference for me(about 1 sec/100.)I have gone to meets shaved and not tapered when I wanted to get a good mid-season time and the results were the 1 sec/100.My first warm up after a shaved meet and I will finish my warm up almost 2 sec faster than I regularlydo with the same effort.
Children
No Data