hand sinking

Former Member
Former Member
I am currently quite a slow freestyle swimmer (I have a bit of a breaststroke background.) Onlookers criticise the fact that my hands go in too deep and that I look towards the bottom of the pool. As hard as I try, my hand always seems to be about 5/6 inches from the surface. Any ideas on how I can get them to remain near the surface to get that catch at an early stage? In addition; as soon as I try and bring my head up slightly it feels so unnatural. How do I raise my head slightly without causing it to feel awkward?
Parents
  • Can't imagine pulling 5-6in deep so I consider that's hand entry. I agree that's quite deep (it might be even deeper than it seems to you observing from underwater). Try to stand in super streamline with your back next to the wall touching the wall with as great surface of your body as possible. If you feel awkward and tensioned in your shoulders, most likely the root of the problem is lack of flexibility - quite a common problem. Daily stretching might help to improve but be patient - result will not come immediately. I agree that video would be helpful to see other possible mistakes.
  • Can't imagine pulling 5-6in deep so I consider that's hand entry. I agree that's quite deep (it might be even deeper than it seems to you observing from underwater). Try to stand in super streamline with your back next to the wall touching the wall with as great surface of your body as possible. If you feel awkward and tensioned in your shoulders, most likely the root of the problem is lack of flexibility - quite a common problem. Daily stretching might help to improve but be patient - result will not come immediately. I agree that video would be helpful to see other possible mistakes.
Children
No Data