hand sinking

Former Member
Former Member
I am currently quite a slow freestyle swimmer (I have a bit of a breaststroke background.) Onlookers criticise the fact that my hands go in too deep and that I look towards the bottom of the pool. As hard as I try, my hand always seems to be about 5/6 inches from the surface. Any ideas on how I can get them to remain near the surface to get that catch at an early stage? In addition; as soon as I try and bring my head up slightly it feels so unnatural. How do I raise my head slightly without causing it to feel awkward?
Parents
  • Just a couple of observations… Are these “onlookers” real coaches or just other swimmers parroting advice? Many casual swimmers carry their heads too high and overreach at the surface at the front of their stroke. So unless the advice is from a real coach, I’d be leery about changing your stroke based on casual observation. There is nothing wrong with being “a slow freestyle swimmer”; it all depends on your personal goals. If your primary goal is fitness, then speed shouldn’t matter. If you are looking to swim faster or maybe compete, then I suggest you find a coached Masters program, and work with the coach. Also, if you post a video of your swimming on the forum, a number of people will likely offer informed advice.
  • Just a couple of observations… Are these “onlookers” real coaches or just other swimmers parroting advice? Many casual swimmers carry their heads too high and overreach at the surface at the front of their stroke. So unless the advice is from a real coach, I’d be leery about changing your stroke based on casual observation. There is nothing wrong with being “a slow freestyle swimmer”; it all depends on your personal goals. If your primary goal is fitness, then speed shouldn’t matter. If you are looking to swim faster or maybe compete, then I suggest you find a coached Masters program, and work with the coach. Also, if you post a video of your swimming on the forum, a number of people will likely offer informed advice.
Children
No Data