Looking for really good earplugs

I have a perforated eardrum and have recently started swimming again. (I know, maybe I should have repaired the eardrum before getting in the water, but there was no guarantee the repair would work). I'm currently using Mack's, but it's not working to the degree I expected. I'm still getting water in my ear - and it HURTS! Needless to say, I can't keep getting water in my ear (pain aside) I risk infection and other complications. Since the first day, I haven't been able to recreate the "perfect seal" to keep water out. According to product label, I should also be able to get a few uses out of one earplug before requiring a new one...but no luck. Even a new one didn't work as well the second time as it did the first. Disappointing. Can anyone recommend an earplug that's fool proof and will keep water out? Or maybe a trick to how to better use what I've got? (I am following product instructions and not forming the plug to my ear canal. I'm using it as a "cap" to the canal.) I'd appreciate the feedback! :)
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I have exactly the same problem as you. My injury happened when I was 16 years old. I was playing a game of rugby football when I got an unintentional flat hand to the right ear. The pressure created by the blow was enough to perforate my eardrum. At the time the doc told me there was no need for surgery and that the perforation would heal itself. He was right: it did, but my ear has never been the same since, is easily re-perforated, and has had one infection after another. It seems that the perforation does heal but it is not as good as new. It seems that it is very susceptible to being re-perforated. Anything, from a severe cold, sneezing, equalizing when on an airplane or scuba diving/snorkeling could open up the hole again and then you have to deal with inevitable ear infection that follows. I had to stop scuba diving but I still snorkel and am very careful when equalizing and have to be 100% cold free when I do it. I have always lived with a bottle of ear drops next to my bed and have used just about every plug on the market. To be honest, I haven't found one that I am really satisfied with. They all let some water in and if you have a perforated eardrum that is almost a certain infection. The best ones I have found are those silicone, ribbed ones ( I did a post on it once and will try to go back and find it). You need to insert them with a good coating of Vaseline. Use a gentle twisting motion when inserting and then pull back ever so slightly until you feel a vacuum being created in the ear canal. Now you know you have a good fit. No vacuum, not water proofed. I have used an earplug even when my eardrum hasn't been perforated and often clean my ear canals with ear buds. I have also used ear drops on an almost daily basis. That was until about two years ago. About two years ago, I decided to stop putting anything into my ears: ear buds, ear plugs, ear drops, anything. The result: two years infection free. Not one tiny little one. Not even a hint of one. I have been told that even ear buds can cause tiny lesions in the ear canal which can result in infection. I am guessing the same goes for ear plugs, too. So I have stayed away from them and with great result. My advice to you is to stay away from the water until the perforation has healed over. It has always healed over with me and I have perforated it on numerous occasions. Then, when it is healed don't use any ear plugs and avoid putting anything into your ear. The ear self cleans and wax doesn't need to be helped out unless there is a blockage. Some swimmers do get a narrowing of the ear canal as a bone spur grows outwards to protect the ear from cold water. This can cause a wax blockage, but I am guessing this is relatively rare and in most cases needs no interference.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I have exactly the same problem as you. My injury happened when I was 16 years old. I was playing a game of rugby football when I got an unintentional flat hand to the right ear. The pressure created by the blow was enough to perforate my eardrum. At the time the doc told me there was no need for surgery and that the perforation would heal itself. He was right: it did, but my ear has never been the same since, is easily re-perforated, and has had one infection after another. It seems that the perforation does heal but it is not as good as new. It seems that it is very susceptible to being re-perforated. Anything, from a severe cold, sneezing, equalizing when on an airplane or scuba diving/snorkeling could open up the hole again and then you have to deal with inevitable ear infection that follows. I had to stop scuba diving but I still snorkel and am very careful when equalizing and have to be 100% cold free when I do it. I have always lived with a bottle of ear drops next to my bed and have used just about every plug on the market. To be honest, I haven't found one that I am really satisfied with. They all let some water in and if you have a perforated eardrum that is almost a certain infection. The best ones I have found are those silicone, ribbed ones ( I did a post on it once and will try to go back and find it). You need to insert them with a good coating of Vaseline. Use a gentle twisting motion when inserting and then pull back ever so slightly until you feel a vacuum being created in the ear canal. Now you know you have a good fit. No vacuum, not water proofed. I have used an earplug even when my eardrum hasn't been perforated and often clean my ear canals with ear buds. I have also used ear drops on an almost daily basis. That was until about two years ago. About two years ago, I decided to stop putting anything into my ears: ear buds, ear plugs, ear drops, anything. The result: two years infection free. Not one tiny little one. Not even a hint of one. I have been told that even ear buds can cause tiny lesions in the ear canal which can result in infection. I am guessing the same goes for ear plugs, too. So I have stayed away from them and with great result. My advice to you is to stay away from the water until the perforation has healed over. It has always healed over with me and I have perforated it on numerous occasions. Then, when it is healed don't use any ear plugs and avoid putting anything into your ear. The ear self cleans and wax doesn't need to be helped out unless there is a blockage. Some swimmers do get a narrowing of the ear canal as a bone spur grows outwards to protect the ear from cold water. This can cause a wax blockage, but I am guessing this is relatively rare and in most cases needs no interference.
Children
No Data