Swimming for Fitness/Fun Not Competition

Lots of folks on this board are pretty experienced competitive swimmers (and you're awesome), but I'm wondering how many of us are in it just for fun/fitness. Is Masters really about competition, or is there room for the fitness swimmer, too? Of course, I'm looking to get better, improve my stroke and kick and get a little faster. But only because it ups the fitness quotient. I didn't get into swimming to compete, but because my hereditary arthritis started kicking in and I figured it was a safe, effective way to exercise and drop those pounds my doctor's been hounding me about. Who out there is a non-competitor, how many times a week to you swim, and do you count laps, time, or just do whatever feels good?
Parents
  • Hi Denise MW! I'm a member of the National Fitness Education Committee. I encourage you + all swimmers to check out some of our programs and activities in the Fitness Education section of this website. "Go The Distance" and "Check Off Challenge" are both ways to make your workouts motivating whether it helps you swim more yardage or to try different strokes. If you can think of anything your Fitness Ed. committee could do for swimmers to help make their workouts/swimming better feel free to pm me on this forum. We have fairly frequent phone meetings and would love new ideas! I personally love to swim in meets but I consider myself a fitness swimmer. I will never be paid to race or make swimming my full-time occupation and do it to stay fit and happy. I feel like meets are a way I can measure my fitness, test my stroke progress, plus spend some time with super cool, fun people.
  • Hi Denise MW! I'm a member of the National Fitness Education Committee. I encourage you + all swimmers to check out some of our programs and activities in the Fitness Education section of this website. "Go The Distance" and "Check Off Challenge" are both ways to make your workouts motivating whether it helps you swim more yardage or to try different strokes. If you can think of anything your Fitness Ed. committee could do for swimmers to help make their workouts/swimming better feel free to pm me on this forum. We have fairly frequent phone meetings and would love new ideas! I personally love to swim in meets but I consider myself a fitness swimmer. I will never be paid to race or make swimming my full-time occupation and do it to stay fit and happy. I feel like meets are a way I can measure my fitness, test my stroke progress, plus spend some time with super cool, fun people.
Children
No Data