Flyers, your help is requested!

Ok, so I have competed at my first meet and am preparing for my next, which will be in mid-November and SCY. At my first meet I competed all stones but fly. I have only competed as a Master (never as a kid) and the swim lessons I took as a kid didn't teach fly (or I didn't make it that far.) That said, I'm just learning fly and finally can put the arms and kick together to make it one length of the pool (25Y, in about 30 sec, creating a bit of wake, etc.) so I have a lot of work to do (I want to compete the 100 IM). My real question is about the start and turn. Is it like freestyle, where you can streamline with dolphin kick as far as 15 meters, or does it have a pull out like *** or other specific rules? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Agre with Knelsen. Yes you can even do more kicks in the lap. Try slowing the stroke down to go more distance. pull - kick - glide then repeat to go for more than a yard between arm pulls. See if that helps going farther. Keep at it.
  • At my first meet I competed all stones but fly. We prefer to call them "strokes." Stones and swimming don't really go together. :) My real question is about the start and turn. Is it like freestyle, where you can streamline with dolphin kick as far as 15 meters, or does it have a pull out like *** or other specific rules? Yes, it's like freestyle in that you must surface by 15 meters. Unlike free, though, you must use a dolphin kick throughout the race, both underwater and on the surface. The turns are like breaststroke in that you must touch with both hands simultaneously.
  • Oops! Darn autocorrect/typos! Thanks. For some reason I was thinking there was a fly pullout. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • I think it's a good idea to never practice butterstruggle! After you do a few laps of fly and start tiring just pull on some fins so you can work on technique without getting too tired.