Next year's goal: Sub 5 minute 500 free

Trying to set one solid goal for next year. After a mediocre season, I've decided to focus on one event only for next year. I want to see if I can break 5 minutes for a 500 free. Back in my college days (almost 30 years ago), my best was a 4:47, and I would routinely swim just under 5 in most dual meets. Since I started Masters swimming 4 years ago, my best has been a 5:10. Not bad, but I think I can do better. Now here's the question for all the middle-distance studs out there: what are some good workouts/drills that you can do to A) increase raw speed, and B) increase endurance. As I mentioned in a different thread, I have been dealing with a mild anemia issue, which I'm pretty sure has been resolved.
Parents
  • Great swim Matt, congratulations! I should also point out that not only did Dan Kirkland set a new American record in the 800, he also set the World Record which was 10:16. So he crushed that one too! I was thinking that maybe I had a chance at that record, but not anymore. Congratulations to Dan. Thanks for pointing that out, Glenn. I thought it might have been a world record, but I didn't check before posting so I didn't want to say it was without knowing for sure. Huge congratulations to Dan! You don't think you still have a shot at that record? You pretty consistently go a sub-5 minute 400. Maybe you could go out a little slower and even split it? I think you might still be able to do it! Dan was out in 5 minutes even at the 400. Also, David Radcliff, who was kind enough to house me and feed me the night before the meet (thanks Dave and Nancy!), dropped a little over 7 seconds from his world record time for men 80-84 with an 11:35.71. Amazing! Congratulations, Fly Trap! That's an amazing swim, especially considering what you have been through from that accident! :applaud: Thanks so much Elaine! I was thrilled with the swim, all things considered. Several people who knew what had happened to me in July approached me and said that they were shocked to see me at the meet and certainly didn't expect me to be able to swim like I was able to. It really was a pretty fast recovery. I even surprised myself! Awesome job! As much as it hurts, there's nothing better than doing a distance race when your neck-and-neck with the opposition. Everyone usually ends up with great times. I went a 18:17 in the 1500 today. Went out a bit too fast, and died towards the end. Still a PR, so a good day! Great swim Jonathan! You should be very happy with that. I'm hoping to do the 1500 in a few weeks in Bend (December 6th). At 4000 feet of elevation, I don't have high hopes for a fast swim there, but I would like to be somewhere around 19:10 or so. That should be good enough to make the top 10.
  • Great swim Matt, congratulations! I should also point out that not only did Dan Kirkland set a new American record in the 800, he also set the World Record which was 10:16. So he crushed that one too! I was thinking that maybe I had a chance at that record, but not anymore. Congratulations to Dan. Thanks for pointing that out, Glenn. I thought it might have been a world record, but I didn't check before posting so I didn't want to say it was without knowing for sure. Huge congratulations to Dan! You don't think you still have a shot at that record? You pretty consistently go a sub-5 minute 400. Maybe you could go out a little slower and even split it? I think you might still be able to do it! Dan was out in 5 minutes even at the 400. Also, David Radcliff, who was kind enough to house me and feed me the night before the meet (thanks Dave and Nancy!), dropped a little over 7 seconds from his world record time for men 80-84 with an 11:35.71. Amazing! Congratulations, Fly Trap! That's an amazing swim, especially considering what you have been through from that accident! :applaud: Thanks so much Elaine! I was thrilled with the swim, all things considered. Several people who knew what had happened to me in July approached me and said that they were shocked to see me at the meet and certainly didn't expect me to be able to swim like I was able to. It really was a pretty fast recovery. I even surprised myself! Awesome job! As much as it hurts, there's nothing better than doing a distance race when your neck-and-neck with the opposition. Everyone usually ends up with great times. I went a 18:17 in the 1500 today. Went out a bit too fast, and died towards the end. Still a PR, so a good day! Great swim Jonathan! You should be very happy with that. I'm hoping to do the 1500 in a few weeks in Bend (December 6th). At 4000 feet of elevation, I don't have high hopes for a fast swim there, but I would like to be somewhere around 19:10 or so. That should be good enough to make the top 10.
Children
No Data