Next year's goal: Sub 5 minute 500 free

Trying to set one solid goal for next year. After a mediocre season, I've decided to focus on one event only for next year. I want to see if I can break 5 minutes for a 500 free. Back in my college days (almost 30 years ago), my best was a 4:47, and I would routinely swim just under 5 in most dual meets. Since I started Masters swimming 4 years ago, my best has been a 5:10. Not bad, but I think I can do better. Now here's the question for all the middle-distance studs out there: what are some good workouts/drills that you can do to A) increase raw speed, and B) increase endurance. As I mentioned in a different thread, I have been dealing with a mild anemia issue, which I'm pretty sure has been resolved.
Parents
  • Glenn, I'll be at Pierce this weekend. I've entered the 1500 and a few other events, although I'm planning on giving everything I've got on the 1500. I'll even do a mini-taper for this meet, as I won't be able to swim the 1500 at Regionals. How did it go Jonathan? I hope you crushed it! I had a great swim this weekend, all things considered. The pool was hot for me (I'd guess 84 or so) and I'm only 4 months out from a very serious injury, with only about 2 months of (somewhat minimal) training under my belt. But I managed to go a personal best 9:51.00 in the 800. We were swimming 4 wide the entire swim, so that definitely helped pull me along. Started feeling the heat of the water around 600m, but managed to fight off the mental demons and focus enough to finish strong. Came home on a 1:10 (33.53 last 50m), which I was really happy about. Top 4 went: Mark Frost 9:48.93 Dan Phillips 9:50.68 Matt Miller 9:51.00 Robbert Van Andel 9:52.54 I think it was the most fun swim I've had in a pool. And, in the same heat, Dan Kirkland set a new American Record in the M65-69 age group with a super-impressive 10:05.03! He took over 14 seconds off his time of 10:19.31 that he swum in September.
  • Glenn, I'll be at Pierce this weekend. I've entered the 1500 and a few other events, although I'm planning on giving everything I've got on the 1500. I'll even do a mini-taper for this meet, as I won't be able to swim the 1500 at Regionals. How did it go Jonathan? I hope you crushed it! I had a great swim this weekend, all things considered. The pool was hot for me (I'd guess 84 or so) and I'm only 4 months out from a very serious injury, with only about 2 months of (somewhat minimal) training under my belt. But I managed to go a personal best 9:51.00 in the 800. We were swimming 4 wide the entire swim, so that definitely helped pull me along. Started feeling the heat of the water around 600m, but managed to fight off the mental demons and focus enough to finish strong. Came home on a 1:10 (33.53 last 50m), which I was really happy about. Top 4 went: Mark Frost 9:48.93 Dan Phillips 9:50.68 Matt Miller 9:51.00 Robbert Van Andel 9:52.54 I think it was the most fun swim I've had in a pool. And, in the same heat, Dan Kirkland set a new American Record in the M65-69 age group with a super-impressive 10:05.03! He took over 14 seconds off his time of 10:19.31 that he swum in September.
Children
No Data