Next year's goal: Sub 5 minute 500 free

Trying to set one solid goal for next year. After a mediocre season, I've decided to focus on one event only for next year. I want to see if I can break 5 minutes for a 500 free. Back in my college days (almost 30 years ago), my best was a 4:47, and I would routinely swim just under 5 in most dual meets. Since I started Masters swimming 4 years ago, my best has been a 5:10. Not bad, but I think I can do better. Now here's the question for all the middle-distance studs out there: what are some good workouts/drills that you can do to A) increase raw speed, and B) increase endurance. As I mentioned in a different thread, I have been dealing with a mild anemia issue, which I'm pretty sure has been resolved.
Parents
  • I'm swimming the 800 this Saturday. The shoulder is feeling great. I think I'm probably 95% healed now. And I even did my 6000 yard ePostal on Sunday! And I swam again on Monday, a full workout after that 6000 on Sunday, and I was still swimming fast and felt energetic. So I'm hopeful that I'll have a good swim on Saturday. That's great news, Fly Trap! I'm glad you have recovered well from your horrible injury. Good luck on Saturday! :cheerleader:
  • I'm swimming the 800 this Saturday. The shoulder is feeling great. I think I'm probably 95% healed now. And I even did my 6000 yard ePostal on Sunday! And I swam again on Monday, a full workout after that 6000 on Sunday, and I was still swimming fast and felt energetic. So I'm hopeful that I'll have a good swim on Saturday. That's great news, Fly Trap! I'm glad you have recovered well from your horrible injury. Good luck on Saturday! :cheerleader:
Children
No Data