Next year's goal: Sub 5 minute 500 free

Trying to set one solid goal for next year. After a mediocre season, I've decided to focus on one event only for next year. I want to see if I can break 5 minutes for a 500 free. Back in my college days (almost 30 years ago), my best was a 4:47, and I would routinely swim just under 5 in most dual meets. Since I started Masters swimming 4 years ago, my best has been a 5:10. Not bad, but I think I can do better. Now here's the question for all the middle-distance studs out there: what are some good workouts/drills that you can do to A) increase raw speed, and B) increase endurance. As I mentioned in a different thread, I have been dealing with a mild anemia issue, which I'm pretty sure has been resolved.
Parents
  • Mmlr38, isn't your 800 coming up soon? How is your shoulder feeling? Yep, thanks for remembering! I'm swimming the 800 this Saturday. The shoulder is feeling great. I think I'm probably 95% healed now. Every once in a while I'll feel a little tenderness at the end of the collar bone or in the left triceps, but this week I've had none. And I even did my 6000 yard ePostal on Sunday! Went out really slowly, holding 1:15s (SCY) the first half. Ended up descending and negative splitting it! My last 1000 was just under 1:12 pace. I've never negative split a swim before. I always try to even split it as much as I can, but I was really worried about having the endurance to finish, given how much pain I was in 2 weeks ago when I did the 3000 ePostal. And I swam again on Monday, a full workout after that 6000 on Sunday, and I was still swimming fast and felt energetic. So I'm hopeful that I'll have a good swim on Saturday. Good luck in your 1500 this weekend Jonathan! Let us know how it goes. I'm planning on doing the 1500 in Bend on December 6th.
  • Mmlr38, isn't your 800 coming up soon? How is your shoulder feeling? Yep, thanks for remembering! I'm swimming the 800 this Saturday. The shoulder is feeling great. I think I'm probably 95% healed now. Every once in a while I'll feel a little tenderness at the end of the collar bone or in the left triceps, but this week I've had none. And I even did my 6000 yard ePostal on Sunday! Went out really slowly, holding 1:15s (SCY) the first half. Ended up descending and negative splitting it! My last 1000 was just under 1:12 pace. I've never negative split a swim before. I always try to even split it as much as I can, but I was really worried about having the endurance to finish, given how much pain I was in 2 weeks ago when I did the 3000 ePostal. And I swam again on Monday, a full workout after that 6000 on Sunday, and I was still swimming fast and felt energetic. So I'm hopeful that I'll have a good swim on Saturday. Good luck in your 1500 this weekend Jonathan! Let us know how it goes. I'm planning on doing the 1500 in Bend on December 6th.
Children
No Data