Next year's goal: Sub 5 minute 500 free

Trying to set one solid goal for next year. After a mediocre season, I've decided to focus on one event only for next year. I want to see if I can break 5 minutes for a 500 free. Back in my college days (almost 30 years ago), my best was a 4:47, and I would routinely swim just under 5 in most dual meets. Since I started Masters swimming 4 years ago, my best has been a 5:10. Not bad, but I think I can do better. Now here's the question for all the middle-distance studs out there: what are some good workouts/drills that you can do to A) increase raw speed, and B) increase endurance. As I mentioned in a different thread, I have been dealing with a mild anemia issue, which I'm pretty sure has been resolved.
Parents
  • Thanks Jonathan. I enjoyed talking with you as well and swimming next to you. Your 18:12 was a good swim so don't worry about the 500. The 1650 takes a bit out of you! I didn't hit the time I wanted either. I was out a bit too fast the first 200 so it caught up to me on the last 200. It is sometimes tough to slow down enough at the beginning of a race when you are feeling great, to even split. That was my problem today. Luckily there is always another race to look forward to. Maybe I'll see you at Pierce College next week.
  • Thanks Jonathan. I enjoyed talking with you as well and swimming next to you. Your 18:12 was a good swim so don't worry about the 500. The 1650 takes a bit out of you! I didn't hit the time I wanted either. I was out a bit too fast the first 200 so it caught up to me on the last 200. It is sometimes tough to slow down enough at the beginning of a race when you are feeling great, to even split. That was my problem today. Luckily there is always another race to look forward to. Maybe I'll see you at Pierce College next week.
Children
No Data