Next year's goal: Sub 5 minute 500 free

Trying to set one solid goal for next year. After a mediocre season, I've decided to focus on one event only for next year. I want to see if I can break 5 minutes for a 500 free. Back in my college days (almost 30 years ago), my best was a 4:47, and I would routinely swim just under 5 in most dual meets. Since I started Masters swimming 4 years ago, my best has been a 5:10. Not bad, but I think I can do better. Now here's the question for all the middle-distance studs out there: what are some good workouts/drills that you can do to A) increase raw speed, and B) increase endurance. As I mentioned in a different thread, I have been dealing with a mild anemia issue, which I'm pretty sure has been resolved.
Parents
  • Kind of mixed results from the meet today. Went a Master's PR in the 1650 (18:12), but was a bit off in the 500 (5:19). I suppose I shouldn't have expected much in the 500, seeing as it was about an hour after the 1650. Glenn, it was nice to talk to you in person. Always an honor to swim next to a world-record holder!
  • Kind of mixed results from the meet today. Went a Master's PR in the 1650 (18:12), but was a bit off in the 500 (5:19). I suppose I shouldn't have expected much in the 500, seeing as it was about an hour after the 1650. Glenn, it was nice to talk to you in person. Always an honor to swim next to a world-record holder!
Children
No Data