Next year's goal: Sub 5 minute 500 free

Trying to set one solid goal for next year. After a mediocre season, I've decided to focus on one event only for next year. I want to see if I can break 5 minutes for a 500 free. Back in my college days (almost 30 years ago), my best was a 4:47, and I would routinely swim just under 5 in most dual meets. Since I started Masters swimming 4 years ago, my best has been a 5:10. Not bad, but I think I can do better. Now here's the question for all the middle-distance studs out there: what are some good workouts/drills that you can do to A) increase raw speed, and B) increase endurance. As I mentioned in a different thread, I have been dealing with a mild anemia issue, which I'm pretty sure has been resolved.
Parents
  • Thanks! Really starting to like doing the 800. Not as brutal as the 1500, but more interesting than the 400. It was the very first event I swam when I got back into competitive swimming, after a 22 year break. Best of luck with your 800. Just don't overdo it if you're still recovering from an injury. I really like the 800 too. Like you say, at a 10 minute effort, it's challenging but more manageable than the 1500. I'm definitely getting back into things slowly since recovering from the bike wreck I had. Been mostly kicking for the last 2 months. I'm finally getting my arms back into the mix now and swimming about 2000 yards each day while kicking another 1000 or so. Impressive how much you're swimming and how much ande suggests you swim. Even when I was healthy, I was rarely getting in 4500 to 5000 yards a workout. What kind of sets are you doing right now?
  • Thanks! Really starting to like doing the 800. Not as brutal as the 1500, but more interesting than the 400. It was the very first event I swam when I got back into competitive swimming, after a 22 year break. Best of luck with your 800. Just don't overdo it if you're still recovering from an injury. I really like the 800 too. Like you say, at a 10 minute effort, it's challenging but more manageable than the 1500. I'm definitely getting back into things slowly since recovering from the bike wreck I had. Been mostly kicking for the last 2 months. I'm finally getting my arms back into the mix now and swimming about 2000 yards each day while kicking another 1000 or so. Impressive how much you're swimming and how much ande suggests you swim. Even when I was healthy, I was rarely getting in 4500 to 5000 yards a workout. What kind of sets are you doing right now?
Children
No Data