Next year's goal: Sub 5 minute 500 free

Trying to set one solid goal for next year. After a mediocre season, I've decided to focus on one event only for next year. I want to see if I can break 5 minutes for a 500 free. Back in my college days (almost 30 years ago), my best was a 4:47, and I would routinely swim just under 5 in most dual meets. Since I started Masters swimming 4 years ago, my best has been a 5:10. Not bad, but I think I can do better. Now here's the question for all the middle-distance studs out there: what are some good workouts/drills that you can do to A) increase raw speed, and B) increase endurance. As I mentioned in a different thread, I have been dealing with a mild anemia issue, which I'm pretty sure has been resolved.
Parents
  • My opinion is that the key to breaking 5:00 is the part of the race from about 300-450. I've got good endurance, but this is the part of the race where I have trouble maintaining 30 second 50s. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see how USRPT is going to help much with this. Swimming 50s at race pace, but resting 15 seconds after each one just isn't going to simulate swimming at that pace for 10 straight 50s with no rest in between. To achieve this I think you need to be doing lots of short rest aerobic conditioning as well as race pace training. I believe there's danger in going to one extreme or the other as far as training goes. Very good point. I still do a lot of short-rest sets, such as 10x100 on 1:10, or 30x100 on 1:15, etc. However, one thing that I feel is holding me back is that I'm a horrible sprinter. Always have been. Even back when I went a 4:47 500 free, I was never able to break 24 seconds in a 50. I think the USRPT is going to be just one of many parts of my training plan.
  • My opinion is that the key to breaking 5:00 is the part of the race from about 300-450. I've got good endurance, but this is the part of the race where I have trouble maintaining 30 second 50s. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see how USRPT is going to help much with this. Swimming 50s at race pace, but resting 15 seconds after each one just isn't going to simulate swimming at that pace for 10 straight 50s with no rest in between. To achieve this I think you need to be doing lots of short rest aerobic conditioning as well as race pace training. I believe there's danger in going to one extreme or the other as far as training goes. Very good point. I still do a lot of short-rest sets, such as 10x100 on 1:10, or 30x100 on 1:15, etc. However, one thing that I feel is holding me back is that I'm a horrible sprinter. Always have been. Even back when I went a 4:47 500 free, I was never able to break 24 seconds in a 50. I think the USRPT is going to be just one of many parts of my training plan.
Children
No Data