Next year's goal: Sub 5 minute 500 free

Trying to set one solid goal for next year. After a mediocre season, I've decided to focus on one event only for next year. I want to see if I can break 5 minutes for a 500 free. Back in my college days (almost 30 years ago), my best was a 4:47, and I would routinely swim just under 5 in most dual meets. Since I started Masters swimming 4 years ago, my best has been a 5:10. Not bad, but I think I can do better. Now here's the question for all the middle-distance studs out there: what are some good workouts/drills that you can do to A) increase raw speed, and B) increase endurance. As I mentioned in a different thread, I have been dealing with a mild anemia issue, which I'm pretty sure has been resolved.
Parents
  • The USRPT does sound good. I very rarely do anything over 200 yds at a time, and we do lots of sets of 100's and 50's. One thing we do need to change is the rest interval. One set we did last week was 10 x 100 free on a 1:10 interval. Great for endurance, but because of the minimal rest, doesn't allow you work them at race pace. If your goal is under 5:00 for the 500, forget doing 100 repeats. Do what I do and do USRPT sets of 50s. You should work into 2 sets of 30 x 50 on the :50 holding :29 to a hand touch, skip if missed. Of course as you know with USRPT, you should never be able to do all 30 in the set. If you can do into the low 20s of the 30 x 50 and hit your total of 3 failures, you will be able to go under 5:00. Best of luck to you! Glenn Gruber
  • The USRPT does sound good. I very rarely do anything over 200 yds at a time, and we do lots of sets of 100's and 50's. One thing we do need to change is the rest interval. One set we did last week was 10 x 100 free on a 1:10 interval. Great for endurance, but because of the minimal rest, doesn't allow you work them at race pace. If your goal is under 5:00 for the 500, forget doing 100 repeats. Do what I do and do USRPT sets of 50s. You should work into 2 sets of 30 x 50 on the :50 holding :29 to a hand touch, skip if missed. Of course as you know with USRPT, you should never be able to do all 30 in the set. If you can do into the low 20s of the 30 x 50 and hit your total of 3 failures, you will be able to go under 5:00. Best of luck to you! Glenn Gruber
Children
No Data