Hematocrit, ferritin, and bad performances

I few months ago, I posted about what a horrible meet, performance-wise, I had at short course nats this year. Couldn't figure out why I swam so slow, and why I was feeling so fatigued. Anyway, I had a physical a few weeks later, and my blood work showed my ferritin level at 11, and my hematocrit at 39%. Both very low values for an endurance athlete. Doctor has me taking iron pills (ferrous sulfate, 325 mg, twice daily), and I've been taking Proferrin ES for about 6 weeks. Just in the last month, I've noticed a huge increase in performance. I went a :52:33 for my swim split at Ironman Boulder, and I've been feeling great in workouts. Anybody else ever experienced iron deficiency? I'm wondering if the increased performance I'm seeing is due to the replenished iron, or if it's due to something else.
Parents
  • I'm not a Dr., so I do not feel qualified to comment on potential medical issues. I am a swimmer and realize that sometimes when things appear to go bad, and performance is perceived as sub-par; some individuals begin improving. The improvements can stem from better eating habits, more rigorous/lengthy workouts, the body naturally adjusting to the workouts coupled with some rest, or a training change from sprint to endurance work, etc. I think the main key is that you are concerned with the performance and are attempting to improve...potentially self-fulfilling. That last sentence pretty much says it all. Looking at all possible aspects and seeing what you can do to improve each one. I had a follow-up blood test done last Friday. It showed my iron levels pretty much back to normal, so the supplements worked. However, the doctor also had me tested for something called Heliobacter Pylori bacteria, and the test came back very positive. Turns out, about 50% of the population has this infection, and it's usually benign. In some cases, however, in can inhibit iron and other nutrient absorption, plus it can cause iron loss due to intestinal and stomach bleeding. As a result, I'm now on an antibiotic regimen for 10 days. Funny thing is, many of us older athletes think we're so much healthier than the average Joe, and we tend to overlook going to the doctor for regular physicals.
  • I'm not a Dr., so I do not feel qualified to comment on potential medical issues. I am a swimmer and realize that sometimes when things appear to go bad, and performance is perceived as sub-par; some individuals begin improving. The improvements can stem from better eating habits, more rigorous/lengthy workouts, the body naturally adjusting to the workouts coupled with some rest, or a training change from sprint to endurance work, etc. I think the main key is that you are concerned with the performance and are attempting to improve...potentially self-fulfilling. That last sentence pretty much says it all. Looking at all possible aspects and seeing what you can do to improve each one. I had a follow-up blood test done last Friday. It showed my iron levels pretty much back to normal, so the supplements worked. However, the doctor also had me tested for something called Heliobacter Pylori bacteria, and the test came back very positive. Turns out, about 50% of the population has this infection, and it's usually benign. In some cases, however, in can inhibit iron and other nutrient absorption, plus it can cause iron loss due to intestinal and stomach bleeding. As a result, I'm now on an antibiotic regimen for 10 days. Funny thing is, many of us older athletes think we're so much healthier than the average Joe, and we tend to overlook going to the doctor for regular physicals.
Children
No Data