Butterfrog help requested

After resisting my coach's suggestion to learn butterfrog, I am finally relenting and taking the advice of King Frog, Nadine Day, and my team's relay coach, Donna Hooe. I can swim a legal butterfly forever (well, 2,000 yards non-stop that I know of), but it's slow. I would like to improve my times on both 200 fly and 400 IM, so my goal is to learn a legal (and good!) butterfrog. I saw instant positive improvements in my stroke count and 200-pace, 25-yard split. What used to be a 10-stroke 25 yard butterfly is now 8 strokes, and my time at 200 pace dropped almost two seconds. I have only practiced this for a few hundred yards, so I have a long way to go to getting it right! First of all, the undulation is missing, and I need to get the feel for it. I also notice that I'm not getting completely around on recovery and my wrists are bending on entry. In time, I'm sure I can work these out. Is this butterfrog legal? What suggestions do you have on how to improve? King Frog, I would especially appreciate your feedback as always! :agree: Topside- http://youtu.be/0yVfdN5CcXY Thanks flyers and frogs!
Parents
  • For those that want to know more about butterfrog: www.usms.org/.../part1.pdf USMS rulebook does not explicitly say whether additional dolphin kicks may be used or not, but IMO if it doesn't say it's ILegal, then be definition, it's legal! It can look weird, odd, strange and Whatwazthat?! and still be legal, if the official cannot find a clear reason for it to be illegal. See also 2014 USA Rulebook - see section Differences Between USA and USMS on starting on page 165 www.usaswimming.org/.../2014 Rule Book.pdf MS1.2 Butterfly. The breaststroke or whip kick may be used exclusively or interchangeably with the dolphin kick at any time during the race (for example, one breaststroke kick and multiple dolphin kicks may be used with each arm pull). Only one breaststroke or whip kick is permitted per arm pull except that a single breaststroke or whip kick is permitted prior to the turn and finish without an arm pull. After the start and after each turn, a single breaststroke or whip kick is permitted prior to the arm pull that brings the swimmer to the surface. Has anyone tried inserting a *** kick on the underwater pushoff and/or dive? I do. Off the dive I do 2 dolphin kicks,a whip kick,a dolphin kick and then surface.On the turns I try to do dolphin kick,whip kick,dolphin kick,surface.
  • For those that want to know more about butterfrog: www.usms.org/.../part1.pdf USMS rulebook does not explicitly say whether additional dolphin kicks may be used or not, but IMO if it doesn't say it's ILegal, then be definition, it's legal! It can look weird, odd, strange and Whatwazthat?! and still be legal, if the official cannot find a clear reason for it to be illegal. See also 2014 USA Rulebook - see section Differences Between USA and USMS on starting on page 165 www.usaswimming.org/.../2014 Rule Book.pdf MS1.2 Butterfly. The breaststroke or whip kick may be used exclusively or interchangeably with the dolphin kick at any time during the race (for example, one breaststroke kick and multiple dolphin kicks may be used with each arm pull). Only one breaststroke or whip kick is permitted per arm pull except that a single breaststroke or whip kick is permitted prior to the turn and finish without an arm pull. After the start and after each turn, a single breaststroke or whip kick is permitted prior to the arm pull that brings the swimmer to the surface. Has anyone tried inserting a *** kick on the underwater pushoff and/or dive? I do. Off the dive I do 2 dolphin kicks,a whip kick,a dolphin kick and then surface.On the turns I try to do dolphin kick,whip kick,dolphin kick,surface.
Children
No Data