Swimming and pregnancy

Former Member
Former Member
I am currently 23 weeks pregnant and am still pretty active. I will do some sort of workout at least 5 days/week. Mainly running and swimming. The last 3 or 4 weeks or so, I have noticed that I am struggling with the swim workouts. Barely make it to 1000-1500 yards. I break down my sets within the workout a lot and take more than plenty of rest in between. I understand the processes/dynamics that have changed due to the pregnancy (great article below), which explains the symptoms I am having at about 1000 yards into a swim: tingling in legs and arms and fatigue. I am assuming that is caused due to lack of oxygen getting to my muscles. My main question is if there is anything I can do differently/adjust so I can stay in the pool a little longer than I have been. www.usms.org/.../articledisplay.php Little bit of background on me: endurance athlete > marathoner, ironman distance events, etc. I like the long stuff. I have to admit that with swimming I am more a steady/long, than fast/short type of swimmer, but that is mainly due to the endurance events I am training for. Maybe that is why my VO2 is suffering faster during the swim now that I am pregnant. When swimming, I probably do 90% freestyle and right now I don't use any equipment, since that takes even more energy for me. Any advice is welcome!
Parents
  • have a 14 week old and swam until the day I delivered. I swam with a heart rate monitor because I tend to just "go". It helped me a lot although towards the end, only a 25 "float-freestyle" would make my heartrate skyrocket. Everyone is different though and I talked a lot to my OBGYN about working out throughout pregnancy. I encourage you to talk to your doc about it and find a way to stay active but not overdo it. That's the most important thing during pregnancy.
  • have a 14 week old and swam until the day I delivered. I swam with a heart rate monitor because I tend to just "go". It helped me a lot although towards the end, only a 25 "float-freestyle" would make my heartrate skyrocket. Everyone is different though and I talked a lot to my OBGYN about working out throughout pregnancy. I encourage you to talk to your doc about it and find a way to stay active but not overdo it. That's the most important thing during pregnancy.
Children
No Data