USRPT

Has anyone tried this? It seems to make sense-not sure it will work for a swimmer training alone. :D
Parents
  • That sounds like it may work, however I don't think our coach has ever assigned sets like that, at least when I've been at workout. He doesn't really like it if we deviate from the assigned set too much (other than perhaps a stroke substitution). That said, 100s, or even 200s, at a 5k pace would hardly get me winded. We have done sets like that, maybe 10 x 100 @ 500 pace, or 5 x 200 @ 1000 pace. But since I've never swum either of those events in a meet (in recent memory at least), I just guess on what my race pace would be. I don't do the open water events, as I've resigned myself to being a drop dead sprinter. So take the advice you are getting from me as purely theoretical, as in "if I could swim more than 100 yards fast, I would do this ... in theory." Pushing yourself through a challenge set of 25's at your best 100 pace or 50's at your best 200 pace provides time beyond your 5k race pace where you can adjust your stroke for efficiency. With the constant feedback on number of strokes per lap, elapsed time and heart rate, you can assess your efficiency on each repeat and see what drops off first and why. By improving the maximum speed at which you can swim, the added benefit might very well be an improvement in relative endurance. You can go all day at 70%, but if 70% is now faster, you go faster. Just a guess and your mileage may vary, but it might prove interesting. If it doesn't work, you can always do something else.
  • That sounds like it may work, however I don't think our coach has ever assigned sets like that, at least when I've been at workout. He doesn't really like it if we deviate from the assigned set too much (other than perhaps a stroke substitution). That said, 100s, or even 200s, at a 5k pace would hardly get me winded. We have done sets like that, maybe 10 x 100 @ 500 pace, or 5 x 200 @ 1000 pace. But since I've never swum either of those events in a meet (in recent memory at least), I just guess on what my race pace would be. I don't do the open water events, as I've resigned myself to being a drop dead sprinter. So take the advice you are getting from me as purely theoretical, as in "if I could swim more than 100 yards fast, I would do this ... in theory." Pushing yourself through a challenge set of 25's at your best 100 pace or 50's at your best 200 pace provides time beyond your 5k race pace where you can adjust your stroke for efficiency. With the constant feedback on number of strokes per lap, elapsed time and heart rate, you can assess your efficiency on each repeat and see what drops off first and why. By improving the maximum speed at which you can swim, the added benefit might very well be an improvement in relative endurance. You can go all day at 70%, but if 70% is now faster, you go faster. Just a guess and your mileage may vary, but it might prove interesting. If it doesn't work, you can always do something else.
Children
No Data