Beginner swimming problem

Former Member
Former Member
Hi everyone, I have spent the last 13 months taking swimming lessons twice per week and practicing at my gym's pool almost daily, but I'm still having trouble. I'm hoping I can get some pointers that might help. I've been lifting weights for about 20 years now and have pretty muscular legs. And they just don't seem to want to float. I can kick hard to get them to float, but then, I can barely swim freestyle halfway across the pool because I get so out of breath. I have had a lot of trouble learning to breathe, but lately, it has been getting better. I still don't think I'm getting full breaths in, but at least I'm not swallowing water every time I try to breathe anymore. Anyway, my swimming instructors have been saying that my technique looks great; they haven't been able to offer any tweaks to help me over the past couple of months. But I still can't swim across the pool. I just don't see how I can kick as hard/fast as I seem to have to - just to stay on top of the water - and only inhale every 3-4 arm strokes. It is starting to get pretty frustrating. Have you run into this yourself? Is there anything you can recommend that might help me? Thanks in advance for any pointers!
  • Here's another thought (with apologies where they are due), I have spent the last 13 months taking swimming lessons twice per week ... my swimming instructors have been saying that my technique looks great; they haven't been able to offer any tweaks to help me ... But I still can't swim across the pool. You need new swimming instructors.
  • Hi Joe- You say you are breathing every 3-4 strokes and you don't feel like you are getting full breaths. 1. Are you exhaling through your nose/mouth when you face is in the water? This is an important part of the breathing cycle that many beginners don't understand. This act gives you the room to take in oxygenated air. 2. Try breathing more often. If I only took a breath every 4 strokes in the mile I'd expire. Good luck and have fun!!!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Yep. One of my first thoughts was: "Maybe he needs to find another instructor?". As you can see from the responses here, there is a lot to keep track of, and learn. Try breaking things down to their simplest elements, and focus on just one thing at a time as you practice. Easier said than done, but a good instructor will know how to work with you on this. Drills can be great. My kick has been the last thing that really has developed well. It is not a real profound source of propulsion, especially in the early learning stage. You may want to shift more of your focus to your upper body for now, and come back to the kick in more detail later. You still want good timing (a 6-beat kick seems to be the most natural), but the kick (especially in the early stages) is mostly to help balance the body movement, and help keep you flat in the water. The comments about kicking from the hip, and using less force, may be the things to look at most for now. Good streamlining (reducing drag) is absolutely essential, and one of the top fundamental basics for all strokes. Good extension is a part of this. Try and relax and stretch into your stroke. Good rotation will help you in your breathing in front-crawl. Breath as often as you need to. Turn your head (and body). Do Not lift your head UP. Learn alternate breathing as soon as you think you are ready for it. While a relatively advanced concept for a beginner, I suggest you look into "Front Quadrant Swimming". This is an essential skill to a well balanced and smooth front-crawl stroke. If your technique looks great, but you are not getting the forward progress you think you should be getting, my best guess is that you are not "getting a good grip" on the water. This may sound like a slippery concept (pardon the pun), but improving how you anchor your hand in the water for the "pull" is another top essential skill. After 13 months of instruction and diligent practice, I would think you would be a bit less frustrated, and a bit better conditioned. I'm not suggesting that you ditch your current instructor, but you may want to consider another opinion / style. As for shortness of breath... I've met folks who were marathon runners, and nearly died on their first 50 yards in the pool when they wanted to expand their cross-training. Swimming is really different, and it may take a while of practice with a technique that is composed more of smoothness and finesse, and less struggle, before your conditioning really improves. Sounds like you've been pretty patient so far. Keep that up and you will likely be rewarded. :-)