Why am I so winded/exhausted when swimming freestyle?

I know. I'm a beginner and the most obvious answer is that I just need to work on my endurance and practice. But I can swim breaststroke (my best stroke) seemingly forever without feeling the exhaustion I do after sprinting a 50 free or even slowly swimming a 100 free. I swim on my own (not with a club), but did join a group workout on Tuesday. The instructor was pleased with how my freestyle looked, so I don't think I am doing anything horribly wrong. I do think I have a weak flutter kick. All in all I do think I am going to be a sprinter, but I would still like to be able to do a slow freestyle during a workout and go farther than 100 yards. Tips?
Parents
  • So, I have a question about breathing. I've been taught to breath bilaterally, but I was watching the US Nationals from Irvine, Calif. on the sports channel where Connor Jaeger placed first in the 1500m freestyle, and all those guys were breathing on one side. Is that because it's more efficient when you're competing? Or is it the way most people are taught and they just stick with it? Not that I'm looking to compete, but I'm wondering why the different breathing technique. I've had a rather frustrating summer swimming-wise because the pool at my rec center is a zoo with kids' camps and people generally being obnoxious who don't know about pool courtesy, and because I'm limited as to the times I can swim while my dog is recovering from his surgery and ensuing stroke. But the lessons I've taken with a private coach have helped tremendously. So momof5, if you can find a coach to work with you, I'd recommend it. Bilateral breathing is great for balance and a good skill to have generally.Elites racing anything over a 100(and even a 100 frequently) breath every 2nd stroke(all to one side) because getting enough oxygen is the most important thing and their breathing doesn't slow down their speed very much.
  • So, I have a question about breathing. I've been taught to breath bilaterally, but I was watching the US Nationals from Irvine, Calif. on the sports channel where Connor Jaeger placed first in the 1500m freestyle, and all those guys were breathing on one side. Is that because it's more efficient when you're competing? Or is it the way most people are taught and they just stick with it? Not that I'm looking to compete, but I'm wondering why the different breathing technique. I've had a rather frustrating summer swimming-wise because the pool at my rec center is a zoo with kids' camps and people generally being obnoxious who don't know about pool courtesy, and because I'm limited as to the times I can swim while my dog is recovering from his surgery and ensuing stroke. But the lessons I've taken with a private coach have helped tremendously. So momof5, if you can find a coach to work with you, I'd recommend it. Bilateral breathing is great for balance and a good skill to have generally.Elites racing anything over a 100(and even a 100 frequently) breath every 2nd stroke(all to one side) because getting enough oxygen is the most important thing and their breathing doesn't slow down their speed very much.
Children
No Data