Why am I so winded/exhausted when swimming freestyle?

I know. I'm a beginner and the most obvious answer is that I just need to work on my endurance and practice. But I can swim breaststroke (my best stroke) seemingly forever without feeling the exhaustion I do after sprinting a 50 free or even slowly swimming a 100 free. I swim on my own (not with a club), but did join a group workout on Tuesday. The instructor was pleased with how my freestyle looked, so I don't think I am doing anything horribly wrong. I do think I have a weak flutter kick. All in all I do think I am going to be a sprinter, but I would still like to be able to do a slow freestyle during a workout and go farther than 100 yards. Tips?
Parents
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling with this. I have a strong breaststroke kick, so it's either different muscle groups in my legs that need conditioning or my flutter kick technique just stinks. Or maybe it's both. Btw, I'm 39. But I have only ever swum for fun in the past. Never lap swimming or competitive. That is, until the 24th when I'm going to be in my first Masters meet. Anyway, where I practice there are people who, like you said, swim freestyle 35 laps or so without seeming to break a sweat. I glance over enviously as I'm sucking in air after my slow 100 free. Oh, I don't have allergies.
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling with this. I have a strong breaststroke kick, so it's either different muscle groups in my legs that need conditioning or my flutter kick technique just stinks. Or maybe it's both. Btw, I'm 39. But I have only ever swum for fun in the past. Never lap swimming or competitive. That is, until the 24th when I'm going to be in my first Masters meet. Anyway, where I practice there are people who, like you said, swim freestyle 35 laps or so without seeming to break a sweat. I glance over enviously as I'm sucking in air after my slow 100 free. Oh, I don't have allergies.
Children
No Data