Why am I so winded/exhausted when swimming freestyle?

I know. I'm a beginner and the most obvious answer is that I just need to work on my endurance and practice. But I can swim breaststroke (my best stroke) seemingly forever without feeling the exhaustion I do after sprinting a 50 free or even slowly swimming a 100 free. I swim on my own (not with a club), but did join a group workout on Tuesday. The instructor was pleased with how my freestyle looked, so I don't think I am doing anything horribly wrong. I do think I have a weak flutter kick. All in all I do think I am going to be a sprinter, but I would still like to be able to do a slow freestyle during a workout and go farther than 100 yards. Tips?
Parents
  • In working with many triathletes new to swimming who have similar problems, I'd say it has to be technique-related. Are you breathing normally in the water or holding/forcing your breath? Are you over-kicking to keep your body position high rather than using your core and your pull to balance in the water? Are you relaxed in the water? This is often why coached practices can be so helpful. Coaches have a chance to really see you in action and can make suggestions to help. When you swim with a team you get consistent feedback - sometimes it takes a coach saying the same thing many different ways for it to click with a swimmer.
  • In working with many triathletes new to swimming who have similar problems, I'd say it has to be technique-related. Are you breathing normally in the water or holding/forcing your breath? Are you over-kicking to keep your body position high rather than using your core and your pull to balance in the water? Are you relaxed in the water? This is often why coached practices can be so helpful. Coaches have a chance to really see you in action and can make suggestions to help. When you swim with a team you get consistent feedback - sometimes it takes a coach saying the same thing many different ways for it to click with a swimmer.
Children
No Data