Recruiting

Former Member
Former Member
Would some of you help me understand the rules NCAA schools need to follow when recruiting high school students. I swear I have read there is to be no contact from coaches before July 1 after the student's 16th birthday. But I can't find that now. All I can find is no contact by coaches until July after Junior year. Your thoughts on what to do if you have knowledge of what may be a recruiting violation would also be appreciated.
  • Here's a nice summary. www.collegesportsscholarships.com/ncaa-recruiting-rules-contact-visits.htm Some contact is allowed after 9/1 of the students Junior year but direct recruiting can't occur until after July 1 POST junior year. Before that July 1 date, information about the program can be provided, but no active recruiting, no phone calls. I know in our program (NCAA DII) we have accidental contact with possible recruits at swim meets or during unofficial visits and typically self report. Let the athletic program at the offending school know if you think there might have been a violation. All programs have a compliance person whose job it is to oversee, and if necessary self report violations to the NCAA. All schools have accidental violations every year and report them. In fact, it is to the schools advantage to report even the tiniest issue because a) the NCAA expects a few violations per year as the norm, and a low report would raise red flags and b) the penalty for not reporting is steep.
  • Yeah, it can be tough. Sometime parents and swimmers actively seek out coaches in public settings before we can legally talk to them. It's hard to explain to parents, but the rules are very important for the protection of the athletes. In an environment where college kids are treated more and more like pros, the dream of being a college swimmer can be a distraction and the reality of college swimming can be quite different than the dream. Students need to be pretty mature to make smart decisions about taking on a challenge like swimming on top of academics. A little accidental contact handled in the right way does no harm, but there are some coaches who intentionally cross the line. If that happens it really should be reported.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Thank you! I can see where there might be accidental contact at meets.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    After reading that great link I think the contact walked the line.
  • "www.eligibilitycenter.org" Yeah Rob, that is a great point. The typical process is different now. We make students fill out the paperwork and a recruiting questionnaire before we will talk to them. At that point they are officially "cleared."
  • is that for all sports? as i regularly see 13/14/15yo sign scholarships for football in our paper.
  • is that for all sports? as i regularly see 13/14/15yo sign scholarships for football in our paper. Um, no way. 7th, 8th, and 9th graders can't be contacted or signed. The rules are actually pretty clear on recruiting.
  • is that for all sports? as i regularly see 13/14/15yo sign scholarships for football in our paper.Each sport has its own calendar and rules; and D1 rules are different than D2 and D3. www.ncaapublications.com/.../CBSA.pdf has a little more information. You may also want to check out www.eligibilitycenter.org
  • is that for all sports? as i regularly see 13/14/15yo sign scholarships for football in our paper.Each sport has its own calendar and rules; and D1 rules are different than D2 and D3. www.ncaapublications.com/.../CBSA.pdf has a little more information. You may also want to check out www.eligibilitycenter.org