Gettting Back into Swimming -- Evaluating Fitness/Ability

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I am 24 and, while I grew up swimming, it has been some time since I swam on a regular basis. I can remember some workouts/drills from middle/early high school, but much of that has faded from memory. For the last 2 weeks, I've been going 3x a week, swimming between 45 minutes and 1 hour at a time doing a mix of strokes, kick, and pull drills (w/ exception of butterfly -- I will attempt that when I'm a bit more fit.) I have remained in shape through other activities and I'm able to swim comfortably for 1 hour. I can feel myself getting stronger every time I hit the pool but I realize I have a ways to go. I was wondering if anyone has advice for evaluating my current swimming-fitness level. What are some helpful drills/measures of speed and endurance that I can use to evaluate how I might to improve? Any advice of how often and for how long I should train? Starter workouts would be helpful too, but I don't want to ask for too much :blush: I'd definitely like to be "better than average" for my age/gender. Any advice as to what that looks like and how to get me there? A bit more information: Age: 24 Height: 5'9" Weight: 143 lbs Occupation: grad student Thanks and best wishes
Parents
  • I'm tired just looking at these drills. I'm confused about the balance drill - how do you keep from sinking before you rotate to one side to breath? Also, I see a lot of folks in our pool doing freestyle by "clawing" with one hand underwater while they reach with the other and breath on one side only, and wonder if this is some strange swimming style I've never heard of.
  • I'm tired just looking at these drills. I'm confused about the balance drill - how do you keep from sinking before you rotate to one side to breath? Also, I see a lot of folks in our pool doing freestyle by "clawing" with one hand underwater while they reach with the other and breath on one side only, and wonder if this is some strange swimming style I've never heard of.
Children
No Data